Rural Curbside (Every Other Week)
Rural Curbside Recycling Collection is collected every other week on a regular schedule in 100% of the unincorporated areas of Orange County, North Carolina. Please visit the Collection Calendar page to find out your pickup days.
- Cart Set-out Guide (PDF) to help ensure proper cart collection
- What Goes in My Blue Recycling Cart?
- Listen to the Commingle Jingle by Tim Smith and the Recyclettes (Turn on your speakers!)
- Special Collection Form for Disabled Customers (PDF)
Residents in the unincorporated portion of Orange County can be provided one 95-gallon wheeled cart for their every other week collection.
Cart dimensions are 45 inches high, 29 inches wide and 34 inches deep.
Call 919-968-2788 or email our office to get on our delivery list. Please allow up to 2 weeks for delivery. We only deliver recycling containers to households that request them.
How do I get a replacement cart, or a repair? Contact our office if your cart is missing or it needs a repair. Cart replacement costs $60, however there is no charge for a one time replacement if the loss or damage is through no fault of the household. If resident would like to lease an additional cart they may do so for a one-time fee of $60.
- Cart lid should close completely to prevent wind-blown debris. Do not bungee cart lid closed.
- Carts should be set out along the street edge with the cart opening facing the street, and nothing blocking the cart, or on top that could prevent access.
- Do not use a plastic bag, garbage can, or cardboard box to set out your recyclables.
- Don’t try to recycle plastic bags at the curb. Recycle plastic bags at grocery stores instead.
- Have your recycling out by 7 a.m. on your collection day, and remove your cart from the curb within 24 hours after it is picked up. If your recycling was out by 7 a.m. on your collection day but was not collected, please call our office by the next business day so we can get to that issue right away: 919-968-2788
- Leave items loose in your cart. Never place recyclables bagged up inside your cart or bins.
- Never place plastic bags, Styrofoam, food or other garbage in your curbside collection.
It is not mandatory to use curbside recycling even though it is available to you. It is Orange County's goal to encourage recycling County-wide. There is no additional charge for curbside recycling service. It and other solid waste and recycling services are funded by the Solid Waste Programs Fee.
Use your curbside recycling carts for plastic bottles, tubs, jugs & jars, aluminum & steel cans, glass bottles & jars, cardboard, and all paper, all together.