Counselor in Training
Applications due March 3
The Counselor In Training (C.I.T.) Program is designed to train youths ages 13-15-years-old to assist Summer Camp Staff with implementing camps for campers ages 4-6-years-old and 7-9-years-old. C.I.T. is an educational program that exposes those enrolled to the responsibilities of being a Camp Counselor.
The C.I.T. program provides great opportunities to build leadership, teamwork, customer service, programming, and supervisory skills while providing on-site staff support. Participants will gain basic work experience as a valuable enhancement to college applications, résumés, and future employment.
C.I.T. Application Process:
- Complete C.I.T. Application (PDF) and return it to the Orange County Central Recreation Center, 302 West Tryon Street Hillsborough, NC 27278 by Friday, March 3.
- Mail: PO Box 8181, Hillsborough NC 27278
- In Person: Bonnie B. Davis Environment and Agricultural Center, Suite 140, 1020 US 70 West, Hillsborough, Monday-Friday, 8:30 a.m.-11:45 a.m. and 1:15 p.m.-4:30 p.m.
- Email: email@example.com
- Potential applicants must be available for an interview March 27-March 30. Interviews may be conducted via Zoom.
- Potential applicants may be asked for follow up reflection after the interview process.
- Applicants will be notified of their selection by Friday, April 14. Not all who apply may be chosen.
- Selected applicants must be available for a training session on a date to be determined.
In designing a C.I.T. program, our objective is to develop the following traits in each trainee:
- A well-rounded, sensitive, and mature young person.
- An understanding of people, particularly of children and self through:
- Training and program experience.
- A group experience with peers.
- Group discussions and activities with camp staff.
- Respect and acceptance for all people with appreciation of diversity.
- The ability to have fun while learning and teaching.
- Attend training on a date to be determined.
- Attend all dates and times in the sessions for which the C.I.T. is registered.
- Wear department-issued attire and abide by dress code while on duty.
- Interact with campers in a positive and productive manner.
- Take direction from camp counselors and other supervisors.
- Reading or other solitary activities and cell phone use are prohibited while on duty as a C.I.T. or in uniform.
- Notify camp coordinator upon arrival, departure, and any change in availability.
C.I.T.s are expected to commit to a minimum of 4 of the sessions listed below.
|Session A||June 12-June 16||7:30 a.m.-1:00 p.m.||$35|
|Session B||June 12-June 16||12:00 p.m.-5:30 p.m.||$35|
|Session C||June 20-June 23||7:30 a.m.-1:00 p.m.||$28|
|Session D||June 20-June 23||12:00 p.m.-5:30 p.m.||$28|
|Session E||June 26-June 30||7:30 a.m.-1:00 p.m.||$35|
|Session F||June 26-June 30||12:00 p.m.-5:30 p.m.||$35|
|Session G||July 10-July 14||7:30 a.m.-1:00 p.m.||$35|
|Session H||July 10-July 14||12:00 p.m.-5:30 p.m.||$35|
|Session I||July 17-July 21||7:30 a.m.-1:00 p.m.||$35|
|Session J||July 17-July 21||12:00 p.m.-5:30 p.m.||$35|
|Session K||July 24-July 28||7:30 a.m.-1:00 p.m.||$35|
|Session L||July 24-July 28||12:00 p.m.-5:30 p.m.||$35|
|Session M||July 31-August 4||7:30 a.m.-1:00 p.m.||$35|
|Session N||July 31-August 4||12:00 p.m.-5:30 p.m.||$35|
|Session O||August 7-August 11||7:30 a.m.-1:00 p.m.||$35|
|Session P||August 7-August 11||12:00 p.m.-5:30 p.m.||$35|
|Session Q||August 14-August 18||7:30 a.m.-1:00 p.m.||$35|
|Session R||August 14-August 18||12:00 p.m.-5:30 p.m.||$35|
*Refunds will not be given for a child dismissed from Orange County Recreation Division Counselor in Training program.