The Orange County Tax Office is striving to provide safer and more efficient ways for you to pay your property taxes.
We have added an E-Check option as one of the online payment solutions we offer. The convenience fee for using the E-check option is a flat fee of $2.00.
This and other online payment options can be found on the Tax Office’s website at https://web.co.orange.nc.us/publicwebaccess/. Point and Pay LLC, who has been the provider of our online payment options for several years, is providing the E-check option as well.
In light of the current health crisis we urge taxpayers who traditionally pay taxes in person during December and early January to pay by mail, our new E-check option, credit/debit card, or by drop box to avoid sizeable wait times and to avoid close gatherings of people.
A message from the Tax Department
With so many changes in our daily routines brought about by the pandemic, the Orange County Tax Office wants to remind residents of the available options for paying taxes, which became due on Sept. 1.
Paying property taxes is not something people think about every day, especially now.
Our office is available to help property owners find a solution to pay taxes by January 5th to avoid interest. We also want to let people know that making their payment early this year will help to thin out the crowd and help staff and property owners remain safe and healthy.
By state law, property taxes become delinquent after Jan. 5. This means a property owner has until then to pay their tax bill without incurring interest.
To help minimize the risk of exposure to the public and staff, we strongly encourage you to utilize the following options for payment:
- Use our secure drop box for payments. It is located at the entrance of Gateway Building Tax Office on the right hand side wall. (PLEASE DO NOT PUT CASH IN DROP BOX).
- The drop box can also be used for submission of listing forms and other Tax Office related correspondences.
- Taxes can be paid by mail to Orange County Tax Collector, PO Box 8181, Hillsborough NC 27278
- If you would like to have a receipt of payment, please indicate this with your payment and one will be mailed to the address on file.
- Pay by credit cards over the phone at 1-844-435-3981
- Online with credit or debit cards and E-checks at (https://web.co.orange.nc.us/publicwebaccess/).
- For phone and online transactions, a convenience fee is charged by the credit card vendor.
The Tax office can also help set up a payment plan to make regular payments through December. Please call (919) 245-2100 or email the office at email@example.com for more information about a payment plans, how to list taxes, discuss values, see if you may be eligible to apply for a property tax relief program or discuss delinquent taxes.
The Tax Office has three divisions
**Click on the Division to go to the site**
Land Records/GIS Division is responsible for maintaining property information used in public inquiry and legal research. Land Records/GIS uses public documents to create and maintain the official index of property ownership in the County. Land Records/GIS handles the geographic information systems for Orange County.
The Tax Assessment Division is responsible for identifying, reporting and assigning a value to taxable property. These values are used to ensure equitable taxation across the County.
Revenue & Collections Division supervises the timely collection and disposition of taxes within the County. Revenue & Collections collects taxes on personal property, real estate, businesses, registered motor vehicles and collects ambulance billing. In addition, Revenue & Collections issues business licenses for beer/wine and mobile home moving permits.