Street Signs in Orange County, North Carolina

Road Sign Maintenance

Orange County provides road sign maintenance for all state-maintained intersections outside of any city limits. Orange County does not maintain private street signs. To report a missing or damaged state-maintained road sign in the unincorporated parts of the County, or to verify that the road is state-maintained please complete the online form or call Kalani Allen at 919-245-2510. You will need to provide the following information:

  • Names of both roads at the intersection
  • Whether or not the sign/pole are missing or just fallen to the ground
  • Your name and contact information (phone or email)
Street sign for Old Church Road and Duncan Road intersection

Signs are replaced as soon as possible depending on availability. Street sign issues within city limits can be reported at the maintenance numbers.

Road & Street Maintenance

Road maintenance service is not provided by Orange County. Each municipality maintains streets, roads, and street signs within their city limits. The North Carolina Department of Transportation maintains all streets and roads in unincorporated areas.

Contact Information

The following is contact information for road maintenance:

  • Carrboro - Contact the Carrboro Streets Superintendent at 919-918-7432
  • Chapel Hill - Contact The Town of Chapel Hill Public Works Department at 919-969-5100
  • Hillsborough - Contact the Town of Hillsborough at 919-732-2104
  • North Carolina Department of Transportation - State maintained roads outside of city limits, contact the Orange County Highway Maintenance Engineer at 919-296-6080 or the State Customer Service Office at 1-877-DOT-4YOU.