Participant Information

News Update​

The Housing offices have reopened to the public. You can now stop by for questions or assistance from 8:30-5:00 at our Hillsborough (Whitted Bldg., 300 W. Tryon St.) or Chapel Hill (Southern Human Services Bldg., 2501 Homestead Rd.) locations. At the Chapel Hill location, proceed to the center of the building and look for the window marked HOUSING. 

You can also call or email us at 919-245-2490 or  

HCV Waitlist

Orange County’s HCV waitlist is open only to the following preference categories: participants in Orange County’s Permanent Supportive Housing Move On Program, and residents experiencing homelessness referred through the Orange County Partnership to End Homelessness’ and Continuum of Care’s HOME Committee and Housing Help coordinated entry program. If you need housing assistance and do not align with these categories, please contact our Housing Helpline at 919-245-2655, or

Changes in Household Income and Compositions

HCV program participants may use the ​​HCV Program - Document Upload Form to submit their changes, annual recertification, or other documents directly to this website.​ Participants may also contact the office by phone or email at 919-245-2490 or in order to communicate changes.

​To expedite the process of updating your account due to a change of household income; follow these steps: ​​​   


Complete the online Change/Report Form - click here


Have your employer complete the online Employment Verification form - click here

​Or you may select any one of the appropriate forms listed on the right. Complete and return the form with your supporting documentation no later than the last day of the month in order for your change to be effective on the 1st of the next month.​​​

​​A decrease or loss of household income must be reported no later than the last day of the month in order for your change to be effective on the 1st of the next month.​​​

​Participants are obligated to report all changes within ten(10) days of the effective date.


Participants who request to move should first submit a written notice of Intent to Vacate Form. You may use the form provided on the web page (right side of the screen). If you elect to terminate your lease agreement (contract of residency between you and your landlord/owner) you may be responsible for early termination fees. Review your lease agreement to see if termination fees apply to you.

Tips on looking for housing:

1. Check the classified section of local newspapers where houses and/or apartments for rent are listed.

2. Check with friends, neighbors, and your case manager. Ask owners that have no vacancies if they know of other owners with vacant units.

3. Use the internet to search for free listings of rental units:




You can also check the Orange County Affordable Housing List 

Click here: Orange County Affordable Housing List

Online Voucher Extension Request Form:

If you are an active Housing Choice Voucher Program participant searching for suitable housing with a voucher issued by Orange County Housing Authority, you may submit a request for a voucher extension by clicking here: 

OCHA Voucher Extension Request Form

Newsletter sign-up

Receive updates in your inbox with our newsletter.