If you're new to Medicare, follow these steps:
- Enroll in Medicare: Contact the Social Security Administration to enroll online or visit your local Social Security office to enroll in Medicare Part A and Medicare Part B. You have a seven-month window to enroll without incurring a penalty
- Working Past 65?: If you have health insurance from your employer or a spouse’s employer, you may be able to delay Medicare without a penalty. Check with your employer to understand your current coverage and costs, then compare these to Medicare to decide which is right for you
- Medicare has two basic options: Original Medicare (Parts A and B) with a Part D Drug Plan and an optional Medicare Supplement Plan, OR you may choose a Medicare Advantage (Part C) Plan with or without drug coverage
- Visit Medicare.Gov and NC SHIIP websites to learn about the The Road to Medicare (PDF) and Medicare Basics (PDF)
- Attend one of our Welcome to Medicare Classes or schedule an appointment to meet with a Certified SHIIP Counselor to discuss your specific situation
Make an appointment with a Certified SHIIP Counselor for free, unbiased help with all of your Medicare questions. Use our online scheduling system or call 919-245-4274.