The Orange County Department on Aging is proud to present the Brain Health Academy, a six-week educational program on achieving a healthy lifestyle and overall brain health.
The Academy will take place “in person” and virtually at the Passmore Center in Hillsborough from 6 – 8 pm every Wednesday beginning March 9 and culminating with a graduation ceremony on April 20. Experts will share practical information and up-to-date research at each session.
The program is FREE. However, space is limited and participants must register by Wednesday, March 2.
Curriculum Details and Schedule:
- Wed, Mar 9: Kick–off Event – Dr. Patricia Leigh, PhD, CCC-SLP, BCN – Certified Brain Health Coach | Leigh Brain & Spine
- Wed, Mar 16: Module I - Nutrition for a Healthy Brain & Body: Eating for brain health – what is good for the body is good for the brain. As we age, whether in our 40’s or 80’s, our brains and body require certain nutrients to function optimal.
- Wed, Mar 23: Module II - Exercise Your Best Brain: Importance of physical activity (neuroplasticity and exercise) for optimal brain health – the why and the how.
- Wed, Mar 30: Module III - Managing Life’s Transitions through Mindfulness: The importance of adopting a stress management system to support inevitable life transitions.
- Wed, Apr 6: Module IV – Social Engagement – Maximizing Cognition with Novel Learning: People live longer and happier lives when they are engaged in and connected to something that gives them meaning and purpose, such as regular volunteering.
- Wed, Apr 13: Module V – Part A: Healthy Hearing and Cognition: Types of hearing complications – what assistive devices and techniques are available and how hearing connects to the brain.
- Wed, Apr 20: Module VI – Part B: Brain Connection and Medication Management: How Medication Management affects the Brain
The Passmore Center is located at 103 Meadowlands Dr., Hillsborough. Light refreshments available at the end of each presentation for in-person attendees.
Join us and take charge of your brain health!
For information and registration, please call the Passmore Center at 919-245-2015 by Wednesday, March 2.