Orange County has been declared a disaster county for Hurricane Florence and provided an individual assistance declaration by the U.S. Department of Agriculture. This declaration authorizes the Department of Social Services to administer the Disaster Food and Nutrition benefits program, DSNAP, for those impacted by Hurricane Florence from Sept 7 - Oct. 6. Please note this program is not available for households impacted by Hurricane Michael.
DSNAP is designed to authorize Food and Nutrition benefits for eligible households that are not currently receiving Food and Nutrition benefits and experienced a loss of income as a result of Hurricane Florence during the month of September. Residents may qualify for one month of benefits, equivalent to the maximum amount of benefits normally issued to a SNAP household of their size, to meet their food needs following the disaster. Eligibility is based on an individual household’s available income and resources. Residents currently receiving food stamp benefits, including those requesting replacement benefits, are not eligible for DSNAP.
To be eligible:
- You must have been an Orange County resident during Hurricane Florence
- You did not receive FNS benefits for the month of September
- You need to have been negatively impacted by Hurricane Florence (home damaged, loss of income, etc.)
- You must meet income criteria for your household
Applications for Disaster Food and Nutrition benefits will be taken at the Orange County Department of Social Services located at 113 Mayo Street, Hillsborough, NC. Applicants will be required to provide identification and proof of address. This can be picture identification or any document that verifies name and address.
Applicants are encouraged to complete their application ahead of time and bring it with them by downloading the form in English HERE or in Spanish HERE.
Applications will be taken according to the following schedule:
- Monday, Oct. 22, 2018, 8 am - 5 pm
- Tuesday, Oct. 23, 2018, 8 am - 5 pm
- Wednesday, Oct. 24, 2018, 8 am - 5 pm
- Thursday, Oct. 25, 2018, 8 am - 5 pm
- Friday, Oct. 26, 2018, 8 am - 5 pm
- Saturday, Oct. 27, 2018, 9 am - 5 pm
- Monday, Oct. 29, 2018, 8 am - 5 pm
- Tuesday, Oct. 30, 2018, 8 am - 5 pm