Hazardous Household Waste Drop-off
There are two Household Hazardous Waste drop-off sites in Orange County:
- Eubanks Rd. Waste & Recycling Center
- Walnut Grove Church Rd. Waste & Recycling Center
Keeping hazardous materials out of landfills reduces potential pollution and protects groundwater. Orange County can assist residents to manage the disposal of these potentially polluting materials.
RESIDENTIAL HOUSEHOLD HAZARDOUS WASTE ONLY. NO COMMERCIAL OR BUSINESS WASTE OR WASTE FROM BUSINESSES OR COMMERCIAL FACILITIES.
Prohibited wastes: Medical wastes, infectious wastes, radioactive wastes, liquid/free mercury, and explosives. Residents should take unwanted pharmaceutical medication to local law enforcement drop off locations. Do not bring them to the Household Hazardous Waste drop-off. Residents should ship smoke detectors to Curie Environmental Services to be properly managed and recycled. Do not bring them to the Household Hazardous Waste drop-off.
LIMIT 20 ITEMS PER TRIP. NO MORE THAN 10 PAINT CONTAINERS PER DAY. TOTAL AMOUNT OF PAINT IS NOT TO EXCEED 10 GALLONS PER DAY.
The following items are accepted at the Household Hazardous Waste drop-off:
- Aerosol cans (if aerosol spray cans are completely empty they can be recycled with scrap metal at Waste and Recycling Centers)
- Automotive chemicals
- Fluorescent light bulbs, including tubes and compact fluorescent lights (CFLs, also known as "twirly" lights), up to 8 feet long.
- Fluorescent tubes and bulbs contain mercury. Do not break or dispose of in a landfill. Do not include with household trash.
- Household cleaners and chemicals
- Lawn, garden, and pool chemicals
- Propane tanks up to 1 gallon size only
- Thermostats and thermometers containing mercury
- Bring items in their original containers with original labels intact when possible.
- Do not mix wastes. Do not bring explosives, infectious wastes, liquid/free mercury, or radioactive materials.
- If you have an item that is not listed, please contact the Solid Waste Office before bringing to Household Hazardous Waste.
Other Items Accepted at Waste and Recycling Centers
RESIDENTIAL HOUSEHOLD WASTE ONLY. NO COMMERCIAL OR BUSINESS WASTE OR WASTE FROM BUSINESSES OR COMMERCIAL FACILITIES
- Antifreeze: Recycle in a separate yellow tank at the Waste and Recycling Centers. Do not mix it with motor oil.
- Batteries: All types of batteries can be recycled at Waste and Recycling Centers. See site attendant for disposal instructions.
- Lead-acid batteries, also known as wet-cell batteries, including automobile and boat batteries, can be stacked on pallets located at each center. Auto-battery retailers in North Carolina are also required by law to take these batteries back. Please do not place lead-acid batteries in the dry-cell battery receptacle.
- Dry-cell batteries, also known as alkaline or zinc-carbon batteries, including flashlight, button cell, hearing aid, and camera batteries, can be dropped off at special containers located at each Waste and Recycling Center.
- Fluids: Kerosene, heating oil, and diesel fuel gasoline, solvents, mixed gas and fluids, and brake fluid. Bring these fluids directly to the Household Hazardous Waste drop-off buildings for disposal instructions.
- Oil Filters: These filters can be recycled at the Waste and Recycling Centers. Each filter, even after being hot-drained, can contain as much as 4 ounces of motor oil that may still leak out. The State of North Carolina has banned Oil Filters from being disposed of in North Carolina Landfills.
- Paint: Oil based paint, latex paint (more than 1/2 inch), varnishes, and stains must be taken to Household Hazardous Waste drop-off. No more than 10 containers per day. Total amount of paint is not to exceed 10 gallons per day.
- Oil Based Paint: Bring oil based paint and containers to Household Hazardous Waste Drop-Off.
- Latex Paint: Small amounts of latex paint may be safely dried out and landfilled by simply air-drying the can if there is less than 1/2 inch of paint, or for larger amounts by adding an absorbent such as kitty litter or sand to the can contents. When dry, dispose of the can with household waste, by leaving the lid off the can, so the waste collectors can see that it is empty and filled with a drying agent
- If the can is metal and completely empty with only a dried residue of paint, it should be recycled at drop-off sites with other metal. Metal paint cans should NOT be recycled in curbside or single stream recycling.
- New or Used Motor Oil: Oil collection tanks are located at all five Waste and Recycling Centers. It is unlawful to dispose of motor oil in landfills, down drainage ditches or into storm sewers. One gallon of motor oil when dumped into fresh water can contaminate 1,000,000 gallons of drinking water supply.
Business and Commercial Waste
Orange County Waste and Recycling Centers are only available to Orange County residents and do not accept waste from businesses or commercial facilities. Businesses and institutions such as schools, churches and social service agencies are subject to Federal and State regulations requiring proper hazardous waste disposal. The following companies may accept items from businesses. Please contact the following companies before dropping off materials.
- Fluorescent tubes and bulbs are accepted at the following locations:
- Cleanlites Recycling: 1-800-778-6645
- Batteries Plus: 1-800-677-8278
- Lowe's Hardware (CFL light bulbs only): 1-800-445-6937
Alternatives to Hazardous Cleaners & Pesticides
The best alternative is prevention or reduction of the use of hazardous materials. New non-toxic substitutes are being invented every day. Old reliable cleaners such as baking soda, household vinegar, and lemon juice are alternatives. Sometimes they require a little more time or elbow grease, but the savings to your pocketbook and the earth can be worth the ’trouble’.
Orange County LandfillPhysical Address
1514 Eubanks Road
Chapel Hill, NC 27516
1514 Eubanks Road Chapel Hill NC 27516
- Administration Phone: 919-968-2885
- Scalehouse Phone: 919-932-2989
Waste & Recycling CenterPhysical Address
3605 Walnut Grove Church Road
Hillsborough, NC 27278
3605 Walnut Grove Church Road Hillsborough NC 27278
Monday, Tuesday, Thursday and Friday
7 a.m. - 6 p.m.
7 a.m. - 1 p.m.
1 p.m. - 6 p.m.