Applications are taken by Income Maintenance workers at both of the Orange County Department of Social Services buildings on a first-come first-serve basis. Persons who live in households consisting only of SSI (Supplemental Security Income) applicants or recipients may apply for Food and Nutrition Services benefits at the Social Security Administration Office.
You can complete the application online, via paper and mail it in, or in-person at a local DSS office. In light of the coronovirus and social distancing guidelines, we are encouraging everyone to complete applications for services online if possible.
Once an application is completed, a caseworker will contact you for additional information.
Bringing the following items will aid in the process of applications:
- Bank Accounts: (Recent bank statements and or passbooks, etc.)
- If Elderly / Disabled: (Unpaid medical bills, Prescriptions, Health and Hospital Insurance)
- Proof of Child Care Costs: (If employed or in school full time)
- Proof of Income: (Pay stubs, SSI, Social Security, Work First, Pensions)
- Proof of Residence: (Lease, rent or mortgage receipts, Utility Bill)
- Social Security Cards or numbers for all members of household (Including children)
- Tax Bill / Insurance: If Homeowner
- Utility Bills: (Gas, Electric, Phone, Water, and Sewer, etc.)
To learn more about Food & Nutrition Services, please visit the NC DHHS website.