Current Property Auctions
In Rem Foreclosures
Next Sale Date: May 4, 2022, 12:01 p.m.
To be held at the Orange County Courthouse Steps,
106 E. Margaret Lane, Hillsborough, NC 27278
ALL PROPERTIES ARE SOLD IN 'AS IS' CONDITION. INTERESTED PARTIES ARE ENCOURAGED TO RESEARCH ALL PROPERTIES THOROUGHLY PRIOR TO SALE AND BEFORE BIDDING ON A PROPERTY.
- Properties sold may be subject to IRS Tax Liens, City/County Taxes for any years not covered under our judgment, and other restrictions of record.
- It is your responsibility to research and obtain information regarding the property, prior to the sale.
- PURCHASER WILL RECEIVE A NON-WARRANTED SHERIFF'S DEED UPON COMPLETION OF THE SALE.
- The deed description may include portions of land that have already been sold off by the current owner and are NOT subject to the sale.
- If a bidder fails to follow through with their winning bid, the bidder will forfeit the deposit and the property will be resold. If the next bid is less than the original winning bid, a default judgment will be entered against the defaulting bidder for the loss.
- THIS IS A BUYER BEWARE SALE. ALL SALES ARE FINAL. WE OFFER THE PROPERTIES ON A 'WHERE IS' AND 'AS IS' BASIS. THE COUNTY MAKES NO REPRESENTATION OF WARRANTY, EXPRESS OR IMPLIED. IT IS THE BUYER'S RESPONSIBILITY TO INVESTIGATE THE PROPERTY PRIOR TO BIDDING. Anyone considering buying property at a tax foreclosure sale should be aware that there is a risk. The County does not guarantee or provide any warranty.
- It is your responsibility to research and obtain information regarding the property, prior to the sale!! It is important to note that the deed description of the property or properties contained in this ad may or may not be the exact description of what is actually being sold. The property to be sold is that property contained in the deed description SAVE AND EXCEPT ANY CONVEYANCES OF RECORD. In other words, the deed description may include portions of land that have been sold off by the current owner, portions that are NOT subject to the sale.
- It is the High Bidders responsibility to check on the status of his/her Upset Bid with the Orange County Clerk of Court.
- Notice of Upset Bids will be mailed by first class mail in accordance with NCGS 1-339-64: however, we advise you to check the status of current bids REGULARLY during the Upset Bid process.
The Orange County Tax Collector uses the In Rem method of foreclosure, in accordance with North Carolina General Statute 105-375. Foreclosures are held throughout the year. The Orange County Sheriff’s Department conducts each sale at the courthouse steps located at 106 E. Margaret Lane, Hillsborough, NC 27278.
The Notices of Sale are advertised for two weeks prior to the sale in the News of Orange or in the Chapel Hill Herald.
The highest bidder at public sale shall be required to pay IN FULL (not make a deposit) the amount of the successful bid at the conclusion of the execution sale (subject to the confirmation of the sale as by law provided). The successful bid amount shall be paid in cash or certified funds (payable to the Orange County Sheriff’s Department). The Sheriff’s office may, in its discretion, determine and allow a reasonable time within which to deliver the successful bid amount to that office. The successful bidder shall also be responsible for the payment of any excise tax due to the Register of Deeds office, and all recording fees at the appropriate time.
There is a ten (10) day upset bid period in which the high bid may be upset by filing an Upset Bid with the Orange County Clerk of Court. The Upset Bid must be in cash or by certified funds in an amount greater than or equal to five percent (5%) of the amount of the Upset Bid but in any event not less than seven hundred fifty ($750.00) dollars.
This Upset Bid must be filed with the Orange County Clerk of Court by 5:00 P.M. on the tenth day after the filing of the Report of Sale. If the tenth day is a Sunday or a legal holiday or a day which the office of the clerk is not open then the deposit may be made the following business day. After the ten day upset bid period expires successfully with no upset bid made the Order of Confirmation is filed and the Orange County Sheriff will execute a Non-Warranty Sheriff’s Deed.
The total amount of the upset bid in full is due upon delivery of the Sheriff’s Deed. If you have specific questions regarding TAX FORECLOSURES in Orange County or regarding a particular property please contact Brandy Prince, Deputy Tax Collector for Orange County at 919-245-2731 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Properties for sale
Below is a list of properties currently being foreclosed: All are sold subject to 2022 taxes that are not covered under this judgment. Properties with “*” are also subject to 2021 taxes that are not covered under this judgment.
- PIN #0806763964, County of Orange v. MABEL RICHARDSON HEIRS, NOVELLA WILLIAMS HEIRS, BERTIE WHITTED HEIRS, WILLIAM MACK HEIRS AND WAYMON MACK HEIRS; File # 21 M 242; Legal description: Located in Eno Township, Orange County, North Carolina: ALL THAT PARCEL OR TRACT OF LAND CONSISTING OF 8.44 ACRES, MORE OR LESS, ON EAST SIDE OF TERRY ROAD AND NORTH OF WILLIAM MACK AS WILL BE FOUND ON ORANGE COUNTY TAX MAP FOR ENO TOWNSHIP, MAP 10, LOT 22A. (PIN 0806763964 SEE DEED 264, PAGE 1488, ORANGE COUNTY REGISTRY). Starting Bid $10,000 subject to change.
- PIN #9844582312, County of Orange v. HARRY S. SATTERFIELD HEIRS, GEORGE VINCENT HEIRS AND EMANUEL VINCENT HEIRS;File # 21 M 210; Legal description: Located in Cheeks Township, Orange County, North Carolina: BEING ALL OF THE PROPERTY ACQUIRED IN DEED BOOK 281 PAGE 1085 AND CURRENTLY KNOWN AS PIN 9844582312. Starting Bid $6,000 subject to change.
- PIN #9865432364*, County of Orange v. JAMES W. MAYO HEIRS, BERTHA LEE FULLER AND CARMELITA CAMERON; File # 21 M 111; Legal description: Located in Hillsborough Township, Orange County, North Carolina and BEGINNING at a point, the southwest corner of John Mayo’s 7.46 acre tract, running thence with John Mayo in an easterly direction 330 feet to a point in the line of Knox Mayo; thence with Knox Mayo South 53° 10’ West 170 feet to a point; thence continuing with Knox Mayo in an easterly direction 170 feet to a point; thence continuing with Knox Mayo in a southerly direction to a point Northeast corner of Henry Armstrong, Jr. (Deed book 268, Page 54); thence with Armstrong’s north line in a westerly direction 450 feet to a point on the east side of a private road leading to the John Mayo property; thence with the east side of said private road in a northerly direction to the place and point of beginning. Being tract 32, Block A of Hillsborough Township, Tax Map Page 5. (PIN# 9865432364). Starting Bid $6,000 subject to change.
- PIN #9866631108*, County of Orange v. EULA MAE COOPER; File # 21 M 112; Legal description: Located in Hillsborough Township, Orange County, North Carolina and Approximately 3 miles North of Hillsborough, BEGINNING at a large Cedar post in the eastern line of N.C. Highway No. 86, a corner with George Lucas property; running thence with said George Lucas property along a wire fence North 86° 59’ East 352.77 feet to an iron stake set in old wire fence line in the line of George Lucas property and a corner with Lacy Cooper; running thence with said Lacy Cooper North 13° 34’ West 290 feet to an iron stake, corner with said Lacy Cooper; running thence again with said Lacy Cooper South 80° 11’ West 347.55 feet to an iron stake in the Eastern line of said N.C. Highway No. 86, corner with Lacy Cooper home lot; running thence with the Eastern line of said N.C. Highway No. 86 South 13° 34’ East 248.10 feet to the BEGINNING, and containing 2.14 acres, more or less, as surveyed by Robert A. Jones, Registered Surveyor, on October 14, 1968. (See deed book 377 at page 24, Orange County Registry, PIN# 9866631108)
THERE IS EXCEPTED from the above described property a parcel described as follows:
Approximately 3 miles North of Hillsborough, BEGINNING in the center line of N.C. Highway No. 86 at an iron stake at the Northwest corner of George Lucas and running thence North 89° 06’ East 382.58 feet with the North line of George Lucas, crossing an iron found 32.9 feet off center line, to a pipe found at the southwest corner of George Tate; running thence North 11° 45’ West 186.26 feet with the west line of George Tate to an iron on the center line of the 60 feet easement of George Tate, corner of Floyd Cooper; running thence along the center line of said easement, South 66° 19’ West 60.20 feet; thence following the curve of said center line a distance of 143.46 feet on a radius of 511.59 feet; thence South 82° 23’ West 175.26 feet with the center line of said easement to an iron in the center line of N.C. Highway No. 86; thence with the center line of Highway No. 86 South 12° 06’ East 104.70 feet to the point and place of BEGINNING, and containing 1.15 acres, more or less, according to plat and survey of William B. Dozier dated October 9, 1970, and entitled “Property of Floyd Cooper”.
The above-described property is subject to an easement described in conveyance recorded in Book 225, page 643, Orange County Registry. Starting Bid $5,000 subject to change.
- PIN #9869496777, County of Orange v. COLON D HAWKINS HEIRS AKA COLAN D HAWKINS;File # 21 M 212; Known as 8512 Wilkerson Road, Cedar Grove, Legal description: Located in Cedar Grove Township, Orange County, North Carolina: BEGINNING AT AN IRON STAKE IN THE CENTER OF NORTH CAROLINA SECONDARY ROAD NO. 1507, OLD CONTROL CORNER IN THE NORTH PROPERTY LINE OF FRANK HORNER’S ESTATE; RUNNING THENCE WITH THE NORTH PROPERTY LINE OF THE SAID FRANK HORNER’S ESTATE NORTH 85° 30’ WEST 213 FEET TO AN IRON STAKE, D.F. STOREY’S SOUTHEAST CORNER (10.15 ACRES, TRACT PURCHASED FROM C.C. WHEELEY); RUNNING THENCE WITH SAID STOREY’S EAST PROPERTY LINE NORTH 4° 30’ EAST 210 FEET TO AN IRON STAKE, SAID STOREY’S SOUTHEAST CORNER; RUNNING THENCE WITH STOREY’S SOUTH PROPERTY LINE SOUTH 85° 30’ EAST 206.77 FEET TO AN IRON STAKE IN THE CENTER OF SAID SECONDARY ROAD; RUNNING THENCE WITH CENTER OF SAID ROAD SOUTH 2° 33’ WEST 210.01 FEET TO THE BEGINNING, CONTAINING 1.01 ACRES, ACCORING TO SURVEY AND PLAT OF ROBERT A. JONES, REGISTERED SURVEYOR, DATED OCTOBER 13, 1971, ENTITLED “PROPERTY OF I.J. WILSON, JR.,” AND RECORDED IN PLAT BOOK 20, PAGE 6, ORANGE COUNTY REGISTRY. (PIN 9869496777, SEE DEED 1014, PAGE 6, ORANGE COUNTY REGISTRY). Starting Bid $7,000 subject to change.
- PIN #9832977391, County of Orange v. CLARA L TYSON HEIRS; File # 21 M 211; Legal description: Located in Bingham Township, Orange County, North Carolina: BEGINNING AT A DOGWOOD IN MARY JANE DODSON LINE THENCE NORTH 77 FT TO AN IRON STAKE CORNER, THENCE EAST 100 FT. TO AN IRON STAKE ON THE BANK OF BRANCH, THENCE SOUTH 220 FT ALONG PAUL SIMMONS LINE TO AN IRON STAKE CORNER, THENCE WEST 66 FT. ALONG MARY JANE DODSON LINE TO AN IRON STAKE CORNER, THENCE NORTH WEST 198 FT. WITH MARY JANE DODSON LINE TO THE BEGINNING DOGWOOD CORNER. (PIN 9832977391, See Deed Book 135, Page 551, Orange County Registry). Starting Bid 3,000 subject to change.