Curriculum & Schedule
The 2019 Class will begin Tuesday, Feb. 19, at 6 p.m. The class will meet the first and second Tuesdays of each month through June 4 for a total of eight meetings.
Once the sessions are finalized, the schedule will be posted here. The 2018 class included tours of the Animal Shelter, the 9-1-1 Communications Center, the Emergency Operations Center, the Passmore Senior Center and the Solid Waste/Recycling facility on Eubanks Road as well as classroom sessions that included presentations on Social Services, the Register of Deeds, the Health Department, the Project to End Homelessness, the Orange County Arts Commission and several other departments.
Unless otherwise noted, all classes will be held at Durham Community College, 525 College Park Rd, Hillsborough, NC 27278 (room TBD).
Tentative schedule of presentations
- Tuesday, Feb. 19 - County Government 101 (Kara Millonzi, UNC School of Government)
- Tuesday, March 5 - Register of Deeds, Orange County Arts Commission, DEAPR and Health
- Tuesday, March 19 - Tour of Orange County Animal Services (1601 Eubanks Rd, Chapel Hill)
- Tuesday, April 2 - Human Services (Social Services, Project to End Homelessness, Housing & Criminal Justice Resource Department)
- Tuesday, April 16 - Tour of Orange County Solid Waste Recycling and Convenience Center (1514 Eubanks Rd, Chapel Hill)
- Tuesday, May 7 - Mock Commissioners Budget meeting
- Tuesday, May 21 - Tour of Orange County 911 Center (510 Meadowlands Dr, Hillsborough) and Passmore Senior Center (103 Meadowlands Dr, Hillsborough)
- Tuesday, June 4 - Volunteer Opportunities (Thom Freeman, Orange County Clerk's Office) and Graduation Ceremony (Whitted Building, 300 W. Tryon Street, Hillsborough).
Each meeting begins at 6 p.m. Class locations will vary as some nights will be a tour of a county facility.