Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ's)

Veterans Day 2022

Q: I can't find my DD-214, what should I do? 

A: The first thing you do is contact the Register of Deeds in the county that you lived in when you were discharged from the service. They may have a copy on file there. You can request a copy online or via mail.

Q: How do I enroll in the Veterans' Administration (VA) health care system? 

A: If you served in the active military, naval or air service and are separated under any condition other than dishonorable, you may qualify for VA health care benefits. The first step is to apply. The Veterans' Services office can assist you completing the application.

Q: How do I apply for Aid and Attendance? 

A: Veterans and survivors who are eligible for a VA pension and require the aid and attendance of another person, or are housebound, may be eligible for additional monetary payment. These benefits are paid in addition to monthly pension, and they are not paid without eligibility to Pension. Please visit the Veterans' Service office for assistance with the Aid and Attendance application process.

Q: How do I apply for VA Disability Compensation? 

A: Disability Compensation is a tax free monetary benefit paid to Veterans with disabilities that are the result of a disease or injury incurred or aggravated during active military service. Compensation may also be paid for post-service disabilities that are considered related or secondary to disabilities occurring in service and for disabilities presumed to be related to circumstances of military service, even though they may arise after service. Generally, the degrees of disability specified are also designed to compensate for considerable loss of working time from exacerbation or illnesses. Please visit the Veterans' Services office for assistance with the application for VA Disability Compensation.

Q: How do I get a veteran I.D. card? 

A: A lot of companies offer discounts if you show a veteran identification (ID) card. Below are the four most common types of ID's that reflect veteran status. FYI- Not all companies accept every form of ID for their discount programs.

  • Veteran Health Identification Card (VHIC), ID card you receive when enrolling in the VA health care system.
  • State Issued Veterans Designation on driver's license obtained from NC Division of Motor Vehicles
  • Department of Defense (DoD) ID card for retired Veterans, Spouse, and their dependents or 100% Permeant and Total Service Connected Veterans.
  • Veterans Identification Card (VIC) can be applied for online only at