Computer & Internet Use Policy
The Orange County Public Library is committed to providing free and equal access to the resources and materials community members need to be informed and engaged. Technology, including computers and the internet, is vital to accomplishing this mission. In order to ensure equal access, protect customer privacy, and maintain library equipment, the following policy has been established. The purpose of this policy is to establish regulations regarding both computer use and internet access at the Orange County Public Library.
Computer Use Guidelines
- Customer Computer Access: Orange County residents may sign in to a public computer using their library account. Computer use cards are available for patrons that do not have the proper identification to obtain a full-service library card.
- Visitor Computer Access: Visitors to Orange County may request a computer pass from a service desk.
- Wireless Access: Customers with their own internet-enabled device can access the county’s wireless network. No password is required.
- Session Length: Time limits on computer use may be imposed as demand necessitates.
- Saving Work: Customers are responsible for saving their work to an external drive or web-based resource. Any files created or saved to the computer are erased after each session.
- Content: Library customers are responsible for determining the accuracy and appropriateness of information accessed through the Internet. As with other library materials, it is the responsibility of parents or guardians to guide their children’s use of the internet. The library has no control over the information accessed through the internet and cannot be held responsible for its content.
- Security: All library Internet access is provided through an unsecured public network. However, our networked public computers do have several security layers in place to protect customers. Your browsing history and any files created or saved to the computer are erased after each session. The security of wireless internet connections is determined by the customer’s device security settings.
- Inappropriate Use: Customers are prohibited from using the library’s network for illegal activity, as described in Chapter 14, Article 60 of the North Carolina General Statutes, or to display material that violates the provisions of Chapter 14, Article 26 of the North Carolina General Statutes.
- Filter: An internet content filter that complies with the Children’s Internet Protection Act protects customers from opening sites that include inappropriate content, as defined by Chapter 14, Article 26 of the North Carolina General Statutes (14-190.1 to 14-190.15). The library cannot guarantee that all such materials will always be blocked. The filter for an individual computer may be disabled temporarily upon customer request.
Use by Minors
The library’s Safe Child Policy applies to computer and internet use by minors. Library staff will follow guidelines set by that policy to address any issues that may arise. As with other library materials, the library affirms the responsibility of parents or guardians to guide their children’s use of the internet.
Conduct & Courtesy Policy
The library’s Conduct and Courtesy Policy applies to customer computer and internet activities. Library staff will follow guidelines set by that policy to address any issues that may arise.
The Library Director is the final authority with regards to enforcing this policy.
Revised June 2018