As levels of infection decrease and the number of residents vaccinated increases, several Orange County departments are expanding in-person services for residents. Please check the list below before contacting any department.
Due to COVID-19 on-site activities at both Orange County senior centers are limited to virtual and parking lot events. Information, individual services and one-on-one appointments are available in-person Mon - Fri, 8 a.m. - 5 p.m. at both centers.
For more information please see:
- Activity Calendar: Download a paper copy of our monthly Activity Calendar including all of our videos, live classes and online programs
- Appointments: Information, individual services and one-on-one appointments are available M-F, 8 a.m. - 5 p.m. For an appointment, please call the Aging Transitions Services Helpline at 919-968-2087
- Lunch Program: Meals are now available via curbside pick-up. Email Isabel Jackson or call 919-245-4256 for more information or to register for our Lunch Program
- New or Modified Programs, Services and Resources for older adults during the COVID-19 crisis and beyond here
- Register Online: Register for classes online. Choose display option "Detail" and search by title, activity code and more to find and register for you class or event.
- Senior Times: View the latest Senior Times for all of our programs, services and resources
- Tax Assistance: The Orange County VITA Program offers FREE income tax return preparation services to those with low and moderate incomes. Due to the pandemic, we are encouraging everyone to take advantage of our new and improved Virtual VITA service or our new Do-It-Yourself VITA approach. Get the details at our website www.orangecounync.gov/ocncvita or by phone at 919-245-4242.
The Animal Shelter is closed to the public but most services are available via appointments. Call 919-942-7387, and follow the prompts that best fit your needs. Please note the following changes:
In shelter operations, Meet and Greets with pets are virtual and will be available by appointment. More details at: https://www.orangecountync.gov/287/Available-Pets.
Owner surrenders or bringing stray animals to shelter: We are currently asking that public delay surrenders if at all possible. Please call to make an appointment for bringing any animal to the shelter: 919-942-7387, option 2. After-hours night drop is open and being checked daily.
Reporting lost & found pets: Visit https://www.orangecountync.gov/295/Lost-Found or call 919-942-7387, option 2, if you need help filing a report.
Licensing: Visit https://www.orangecountync.gov/343/Licensing for details and instructions.
Donations: Visit https://www.orangecountync.gov/364/Donations for details and instructions.
Pet Food Assistance: Visit http://www.orangecountync.gov/2400/Pet-Food-Assistance-During-COVID-19
Veterinary Care Assistance Program: http://www.orangecountync.gov/2538/Veterinary-Care-Assistance-Program
Child Support Services
Staff are in the office daily but encourage residents to call (919-245-2175) or email before coming into the office. The State’s automated system can be reached at 800-992-9457. Additionally, the echildsupport portal (https://www.ncchildsupport.com/ecoa/) can be used for the following:
- Apply Online for Child Support Services
- Case Information
- Payment Information
- Pay Child Support
Criminal Justice Resources Department
- The CJRD in the Courthouse is open and accessible for clients and stakeholders. The Director Caitlin Fenhagen is in the office daily and can be reached at 919-245-2303.
- Referral forms and information available on the CJRD website: www.orangecountync.gov/432/Criminal-Justice-Resource-Department
- Pretrial Services – Will continue to complete intakes at Jail and provide recommendations for release for stakeholders for daily first appearances or bond motions. Call Ted Dorsi (919-245-2970) or Cait Fenhagen (919-245-2303) or cell (919-423-4272).
- Treatment Courts – Court sessions are being held virtually. Coordinator and Case Manager still working with participants and ensuring support and accountability. Call Sean O’Hare (919-886-8855) or Shana Harper (919-245-2305).
- Adult and Youth Behavioral Health Services – Allison Zirkel (919-245-2304) and Nancy Lappenbusch (919-245-2311) will continue to coordinate mental health and substance use services and referrals for in-custody population primarily and will continue to provide case management and therapeutic support for court-involved individuals who have been released. Allison is working primarily from the CJRD office in the Courthouse. Nancy will work remotely and only in court, office or Jail as needed.
- Pre-Arrest Diversion – Desmond Frierson (919-245-2312) will be working remotely and at the Courthouse and is accepting referrals, completing intakes and providing case management.
- Local Reentry Council – Our Coordinator and Case Manager are working in the office and remotely and are still accepting referrals and supporting and providing case management and resources for LRC clients. Keith Patterson (919-245-2064) or Tiffany Bullard (984-439-5998).
- Restoration Legal Counsel – Attorney Emma Ferriola-Bruckenstein (919-451-0281) is working in the Courthouse and remotely and is accepting referrals, completing intakes and preparing motions and orders.
- All Orange County parks are open, except for Soccer.com Center.
- Indoor facility rentals are not being taken at this time. Park picnic shelter rentals are available with restrictions.
- Environment and Agricultural Center staff is available by phone (919-245-2510) or email.
- Central Recreation Center recreation staff are available by phone (919-245-2660) or email. Many virtual programs are being offered along with a very limited number of small on-site classes. Visit their website to see which programs are available.
Applications for Medicaid and Food and Nutrition Services can be completed online at epass.nc.gov/CitizenPortal/application.do.
For assistance with completing applications for DSS programs, call 919-245-2800. Orange Works employment center is accepting appointments only. Please call 919-245-2800 and ask for employment services.
Orange County Economic Development staff is available by phone and e-mail to assist with all economic development inquiries. Call (919) 245-2325 to leave a message, or send an e-mail to email@example.com with questions. The department’s main web site is www.growinorangenc.com and information about the County’s Agriculture Economic Development Grant Program and the Small Business Investment Grant Program, to include all applications and guidelines, can be found at https://www.growinorangenc.com/business-resources/starting-a-business/.
The Orange County Board of Elections will resume in-person services offered to the public on Sept. 8. Staff continues to work and can be reached by telephone at 919-245-2350 and email at firstname.lastname@example.org, Monday through Friday, 8 a.m. – 5 p.m.
The public is encouraged to utilize our website to access voter registration forms and information at https://www.orangecountync.gov/1102/Voter-Registration and absentee ballot request information and forms at https://www.orangecountync.gov/1104/Absentee-Voting-By-Mail. These forms can be mailed to PO Box 220, Hillsborough, 27278 or dropped off at our office at 208 S. Cameron St, Hillsborough, 27278. Our foyer is open during business hours and forms may be obtained and/or placed in a secure drop box.
Erosion Control/Stormwater Functions & Services
Staff will primarily work in the field with social distancing protocol. They may stop in the office if non-digital plans are not available. The division will be closed to walk in traffic. If a meeting or a question is requested or posed, please email or call.
- Plan Review: By electronic submittal at our drop off site (131 West Margaret Lane, Hillsborough West Campus Office Building 1st floor lobby)
- Check Submittal: Secure Drop Box; Same location as above. Provide email so a scanned receipt can be sent via email. If personal and physical receipt is necessary, please make an appointment.
- Permits: After plan review is complete, permit acknowledgement will be received via email and permit received at Preconstruction meeting.
- Preconstruction Meeting: The Preconstruction Meeting will be held in the field employing social distancing precautions.
- Inspections: Inspections will be conducted as needed. Instructions regarding field conditions or activities will be sent via email, as well as, any required reports from 3rd party inspectors.
- Main number: 919-245-2575
- Steve Kaltenbach email@example.com: 919-245-2588*
- Kenny Owens firstname.lastname@example.org: 919-245-2584*
- Nathan Jacobsen email@example.com: 919-245-2580*
- Craig Benedict firstname.lastname@example.org: 919-245-2592
*These numbers will be forwarded to their mobile numbers.
In order to protect everyone’s health during the COVID-19 pandemic, Orange County Health Department is no longer accepting walk-in appointments. However we are offering telehealth appointments to meet your immediate medical needs. Please call 919-245-2400 and press 2 to schedule an appointment.
Below are the hours for the Health Clinic at Whitted Human Services Center in Hillsborough.
- Tuesdays: 9:30 a.m. - 6:30 p.m.
- Friday: 8 a.m. - Noon
Below are the hours for the health clinic at Southern Human Services Building in Chapel Hill:
- Mondays: 8 a.m. - 5 p.m.
- Wednesdays: 10 a.m. - 5 p.m.
- Thursday: 8 a.m. – 5 p.m.
Dental Clinic at Whitted Human Services Center in Hillsborough
The Orange County Health Department Dental Clinic is open for emergency appointments only. Due to current restrictions on patient and staff numbers, we are unable to accept walk-in appointments. Please call to schedule an appointment if you are having a dental emergency. Phones are checked every day and your call will be returned within 24 hours.
We have new protocols in place to ensure the safety of our patients and our staff, but unfortunately we are unable to do many procedures at this time due to a low number of masks, gowns and other protective measures. Please bear with us as we work to get our clinic back to normal operations. The health of our patients and staff is our number one priority and we look forward to reopening for all services as soon as we can.
Orange County Environmental Health is open Monday-Friday 8 a.m. - 5 p.m. and closed for lunch from 1-2 p.m. A face covering is required for in-person business in the lobby of the West Campus Office Building. Visitors and community clients may contact Environmental Health during business hours at 919-245-2360. Applications may be submitted in person, by mail, or by email. Payment is accepted as cash, check, or card in person; as check by mail; and with card by phone. Phone and email transactions are preferred.
A list of contacts and access to the customer service portal (NCPIP) are available at www.orangecountync.gov/641.
For free cessation services and nicotine replacement therapy; call the SmokeFreeOC line at 919-245-2480 or email email@example.com
Housing and Community Development
All Housing & Community Development programs will remain available via phone and Internet. Socially distanced in-person appointments will be scheduled if required.
Please call our main number at 919-245-2550 for information before visiting the office. Staffing is limited and an appointment may be required.
Human Rights and Relations
If you experience discrimination in housing because of the COVID-19 pandemic or for other reason, please contact the Orange County Department of Human Rights and Relations at:
- Office Hours: The office is closed to the general public. Staff will be primarily working at home and in the field from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. If making your permit payments call (919) 245-2600 to pay with credit card.
- Plan Review: Residential reviews are performed electronically by reviewer working from home. Commercial projects are reviewed in office by Chief Building Official, one physical set of plan documents are needed for review.
- Fee Payment: Payment by credit card will be processed by phone only. Cash payments cannot be accepted at this time, Checks are discouraged, please make all payments by credit card.
- Check Submittal: Payment of cash, credit card and checks are processed in office. Customers are encouraged to pay by credit card over the phone. In person payments are to be scheduled.
- Permits: Submission and processing of permit documents are through electronic and remote means. Submission of large format plan documents are to be coordinated with plans examiner or property development specialist.
- Preconstruction Meeting: Not being scheduled until after this crisis abates.
- Inspections: Request for inspections are taken with call to: (919) 245-2600. Please identify when scheduling if inspection is to be performed in an occupied building. Inspectors are working remotely from home and vehicles. All inspections are scheduled for the next business day. Coordinate any specific inspection need with the inspector himself.
Please use the numbers or emails listed firstname.lastname@example.org
*These numbers are forwarded to their mobile numbers.
**These emails receive application and document submissions
- General Statute 143-139 mandates code enforcement inspections be performed within 2 business days of being requested.
- General Statute 153A-357(a1) requires Residential plans to be initially reviewed within 15 days of submission.
The libraries remain closed to the public, but all branches are offering curbside services, including printing. Contact the library branch to learn more about available services or to arrange a dropoff or pickup.
Main Library - 919.245.2525
Monday-Thursday, 10 a.m.-6 p.m., Friday-Saturday, 10 a.m.-5 p.m.
Carrboro Branch Library - 919.969.3006
Tuesday and Thursday, 4-8 p.m., Sunday 1-5 p.m.
Cybrary - 919.918.7387
Monday and Friday, Noon-4:30 p.m., Wednesday, 9:30 a.m.-2 p.m.
In addition to curbside service, the following services are available:
- Library Card: Call 919.245.2525, Monday-Friday, 10 a.m.-6 p.m. or Saturday, 10 a.m.-5 p.m. or use our Online Form to gain access to all of our online services and to borrow library items.
- SEA and Educator Accounts: These accounts give automatic access to all library collections for students and staff with Orange County Schools, Chapel Hill Carrboro City Schools, The Expedition School, and Eno River Academy.
- Virtual Branch: Visit the virtual branch to find out about our online program offerings, eBooks and audiobooks, free access to Ancestry.com and more.
- Online Catalog: Use our catalog to: place holds; create reading lists; keep track of what you’ve already read; and, search Novelist to find your next good read.
- Reference Questions: 919.245.2525, Monday-Thursday, 10 a.m.-6 p.m., Friday-Saturday, 10 a.m.-5 p.m.
- Curbside checkout, printing, and pick-up activities
- Digital services – eBooks and audiobooks for all ages, tutor.com, ancestry, access to the New York Times, Washington Post, Wall Street Journal, Consumer Reports, and more
- Virtual programs – book clubs, family programs, storytimes and Princeton Review test prep
- Honoring special requests (for example Grab a Board Book)
- Print newsletters to residents who may not otherwise be on the internet through the Interfaith Council and OCIM food pantries, and the Department on Aging
- Book discussions and technology classes in collaboration with Department on Aging
- Appointment-based phone technology support in collaboration with UNC-Chapel Hill’s Computer Workshop Series
Due to worsening pandemic conditions, Current Planning offices are closed to walk-in traffic. Until further notice, members of the general public needing to see a planner must schedule a virtual appointment. Plans can be dropped off on the first floor in designated boxes.
Planning staff can be reached at the following:
Plan Review: Applications for development projects shall be accepted:
- Electronically via e-mail
- By Mail sent to:
- Orange County Planning
- ATTN: Current Planning Division
- PO Box 8181
- Hillsborough, NC 27278
- Dropped off in person in the appropriate box on the first floor.
Submittal of Fees: Fees can be submitted with the application (mail and in person). Those applicant’s needed to pay using a credit card shall be contacted by staff to process a payment over the phone.
Permits: Permits shall be processed as quickly as possible. Please note deficiencies in the application submittal will impact staff’s ability to process the development request.
Inspections: Inspections shall be completed either on a first come basis or via appointment. If staff is required to meet applicants in the field, appropriate social distancing policies shall be adhered to.
Communications: Current Planning staff can be reached at the e-mail addresses and phone numbers listed above.
- Solid Waste Administrative Offices will be closed to the public until further notice.
- Curbside collection of 18 gallon orange recycling bins is suspended until further notice. This is being done to minimize collectors’ contact with household recyclables. Residents who wish to start using a blue roll cart instead of a bin can call 919-968-2788 or send an email to email@example.com to request a 95 gallon cart.
- If you wish to continue using your bins, you may recycle at any of the five Waste and Recycling Centers during operating hours or any of the four unstaffed recycling-only sites open 24/7 (www.orangecountync/recycling for locations). Residents are encouraged to limit their use of the Waste and Recycling Centers to one time each week to support social distancing and the safety of the staff and other residents using the sites. In addition, residents should remain in their vehicles until the receptacle needed is free so as to allow residents to maintain six feet distance from others.
- Compost bins are being sold by appointment only. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org to request one and schedule an appointment for pick up.
- Curbside Recycling will be collected as usual. AS ALWAYS: Keep out any tissues, paper toweling, bagged materials or other contaminants.
Register of Deeds
Register of Deeds services are available via appointment only. Please see the list below for specific services. If you need something else, please call 919-245-2685.
- Attorneys are urged to utilize our Electronic Recording SystemSimplifile.com or call 800-460-5657.
- Marriage License: Complete the online marriage application then call 919-245-2700 to schedule an appointment. Applicants only allowed in the office.
- Notaries that need to take their oath: 919-245-2685.
- Veterans needing to record their discharge papers: 919-245-2700.
- Attorneys, paralegals, etc., may mail in their documents or use the drop box located at the front of the building, this includes Assumed Business Name filings. Please read instructions located on the drop box before you place your document inside.
- If you have a Plat or documents requiring a Split,Merge, or multiple PIN sheet please call 919-245-2685.
For the protection of Sheriff’s Office deputies and staff, and for the protection of the public, the Sheriff’s Office is closed to walk-in traffic until further notice. Additionally, our finger printing service is suspended because of the close personal contact it entails. For more information, call (919) 245-2900.
Some services are still available:
- The medicine drop receptacle is available in the outer lobby during business hours (Monday – Friday from 8:00 am to 5:00 pm)
- The Civil Division is serving court papers
- The parking lot is available as a Safe Zone for Craigslist type property transactions
- Crisis Unit Services, including domestic violence protective order assistance, are available, mostly by telephone
- Pistol purchase and renewal CCW applications are still being accepted
- Attorney visitation is available to Detention Center inmates
As always, emergency services are available by dialing 911.
Due to the pandemic the Tax Office is restricting entrance to our office. However, we are here to assist you with all of your requests.
Tax bills for 2020 are now delinquent, and interest for January and February has been added to the past due amount. Call 919-245-2100 for an updated amount due, or if you have questions about your bill. Delinquent notices are being mailed soon. NOTE: there has been no change in the state required due date and past due date for these bills (North Carolina General Statute 105-360(a)).
During normal business hours we are available by phone 919-245-2100, email email@example.com, or the live chat feature on our website https://www.orangecountync.gov/842/Chat.
Access to our office may be given for some services, such as cash payments and to get help with completing your listing form. Please explain your request to the person monitoring the door. Access will be given as needed and masks must be worn.
We can also provide services by appointment. Email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 919-245-2100 to request an appointment and explain the reason for your appointment. One or two people may attend, and masks covering your mouth and nose must be worn.
To avoid personal contact, mail your payments, listing forms and other forms to Orange County Tax Office, PO Box 8181, Hillsborough, NC 27278-8181. Or place non-cash payments, listing forms, and other forms in the drop box at the tax office entrance, 228 South Churton Street, Hillsborough. Payments can also be made by calling 1-844-435-3981 or online at https://web.co.orange.nc.us/publicwebaccess/.
The Orange County Board of Commissioners has extended the deadline to submit the 2021 Tax Listing Forms* to February. 28, 2021. If you own property in Orange County you were mailed a listing form in early January. If you did not receive one, contact our office 919-245-2100 or go to https://www.orangecountync.gov/871/Personal-Property for the link to print a listing form. *NOTE: This deadline extension only applies to the 2021 Tax Listing Form.
Regular service is being provided for all the fixed routes with the Hillsborough Circulator operating from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m., Orange–Chapel Hill Connector 9:45 a.m. - 3:50 p.m., and Orange–Alamance 10 a.m. - 3 p.m.
For medical appointments, reservations are required. Non-Medicaid Trips: Call Reservation Line 919-245-2004. Medicaid Trips: Call Orange County Department of Social Service Voicemail 919-245-2774 or Fax 919-732-2137.