The Orange County Cooperative Extension Service Community Garden grant program assists community groups in developing new sources of agricultural prosperity through the provision of cost-share grants. Community Garden Grants are for new community gardens as well as upgrades to existing community gardens. Single grant limit is $500 per grant proposal with a $1,000 cap over 3 years. Applicants must be able to demonstrate that their plan is executable with a high probability of success, well thought out, including resources, labor, timelines, and alternatives, etc. to support the grant proposal. Once grant is decided, the recipient has 6 months to implement the plan.
Orange County Community Garden Grant Eligibility
- The land tract and community garden on which the funds are to be used must reside in Orange County
- Collaborative/Group grants must include at least 3 gardeners and may include agricultural groups, agencies, and/or non-profit organizations.
- Grant funds may be used to purchase durable goods such as small tools, planters, cultivators, irrigation equipment, rain barrels, drip irrigation tape, etc. or expendables such as lumber for bedding, insect netting for row cover, plastic for high tunnels, etc.
- Funds cannot be used to pay workers, rent, insurance, etc.
- If funded, applicant agrees to allow access to the community garden to grant administrators. And allow photos to be taken of your project to be shared with the county leadership or for future marketing and advertising for the grant program.