Check out these "at home" exercise and wellness options designed to help keep you fit and healthy. Exercise with your favorite OCDOA fitness instructor, and discover valuable tools for staying healthy at home or on the go. Try something new using easy to follow health and exercise guides, videos and live online classes. Watch for new health and exercise options being added all the time.
- Alicia’s Arthritis Foundation Exercise Class (Live)
This "virtual" Evidence-Based Program is designed to stretch and strengthen your entire body for maximum movement and endurance, this class is an excellent way to improve joint flexibility, muscular strength and toning. You will gain knowledge of beneficial movements that can be applied to daily living at home. Join us today!
Time: Monday, Wednesday, Friday - 11:00 AM
Please download and import the following iCalendar (ics) files to your calendar system. Daily: https://us04web.zoom.us/meeting/upUtcOmrrz8qG9Ya5TPNzRmFEiebCkqigiK8/ics?icsToken=98tyKu6prjwqGdWRsBiFR7YcAo_Cc-nzmClfjfpknUrRMw5JUA7QE-tHMJF0AdHX
Join Zoom Meeting: https://us04web.zoom.us/j/71070314012?pwd=SmhBSDdiQUJ5VHdWMHg2eldHT3dzUT09
Meeting ID: 710 7031 4012
Program supported in part by the Health Promotion/Disease Prevention Funds from NCDHHS - Aging and Adult Services. As a consumer, you may make a voluntary contribution to this program. Contributions will be used to expand the program and are confidential. Services will not be reduced or terminated for failure to contribute.
- Balance Class with Charron Andrews, PT. (Video) Charron offers the popular Balance Class at the Seymour Center and is a licensed physical therapist with nearly 30 years experience working with older adults.
- Cabin Fever 10! (pdf) with Kyra Colson. Kyra is the OCDOA Wellness Program intern and a Bachelor of Science major in Recreation Administration with a Concentration in Recreational Therapy.
- Strengthen Your Core with Dianne Martin (Live). This is a free exercise class that meets on Wed and Fri at noon for 1/2 hour. The drill is as follows: a 2.5 minute aerobic warm-up, 10 minutes of light weights, 15 minutes of floor work, then 2 minutes of cool-down stretching.
To Register: Please email email@example.com to register and receive the password for the Zoom sessions.
Wednesday Exercise Class – Meeting ID: 179 967 239
Topic: Live Wednesday Workout with Dianne
Time: Every week on Wed, 12:00 noon, Eastern Time
Join Zoom Meeting
Meeting ID: 179 967 239
Friday Exercise Class – Meeting ID: 497 324 203
Topic: Live Friday Workout with Dianne
Time: Every week on Fri, 12:00 noon, Eastern Time
Join Zoom Meeting
Meeting ID: 497 324 203
- Salli’s Senior Yoga and Breathing (Video). Salli Benedict has a Master’s Degree in Public Health, is a registered Yoga Teacher, NIA White Belt, Retired public health researcher and intervention specialist, as well as a University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill; ORDOA fitness and yoga instructor
- SEATED TAI CHI and 18 form Shibashi Qigong (Live). Join Judy Lechner’s live Zoom class on Sundays at 11:00 am. The class can be done seated or standing. Download the class resource and join the class below:
Topic: Seated Tai Chi
Time: This is a recurring meeting Meet Fridays 11 AM EDT.
Join Zoom Meeting https://zoom.us/j/380243385
Meeting ID: 380 243 385
- Strength Training with Kevin Kirk (Video). Instruction includes strength training, balance, stretching, and flexibility exercises for older adults
- STRONG AND STEADY with Vicki Tilley PT, GCS (Live). Strong and Steady focuses on full-body strengthening and balance exercises using exercise bands, hand weights, and ankle weights. The class incorporates exercises that are reviewed and recommended by evidence-based programs like A Matter of Balance, Fit and Strong, and the Otago exercise program. The class is guided by licensed physical therapist, Vicki Tilley, who will help modify exercises as needed. It is great for beginners as well as advanced exercisers.
Join Vicki on Facebook every Monday and Thursday from 10 - 11 am.
- STRONG & STEADY on Facebook, fostering independence for seniors!
Facebook link: https://www.facebook.com/vicki.tilley.14
- STRONG & STEADY on Facebook, fostering independence for seniors!
What should you do to take care of your feet or nails while the Fit Feet Clinic is closed? What constitutes a foot care emergency? If you are new to the Fit Feet program what can you do while you wait to be seen? These are just a few of the questions that people might be asking themselves. Visit our Fit Feet Program page to view two videos from our Fit Feet nurses that help answer these questions and more.
MyMobility Plan Presentation
Learn to use the CDC’s MyMobility Tool, a tool designed to help seniors plan their physical activity, home safety and transportation safety (driving independently, accessing public transit, or getting help from friends and family). Ellen Bailey, Coordinator of the NC Falls Prevention Coalition, and Lindsay Bailey, UNC Health Care Trauma Program Injury Prevention Coordinator, created the MyMobility Plan Presentation to help seniors access and utilize the MyMobility tool. In addition, Ellen and Lindsay will share several resources, national and local, that can help seniors to access rides and driver safety information. Access the presentation slides here.
Nutrition and Inflammation
We frequently read stories about inflammation...but how does that actually impact our health? Should we be more worried about it during a pandemic? Can we change our diets to prevent inflammation? We’ll answer these and the following questions during this online, interactive course:
- What is inflammation?
- Is inflammation related to my immune system?
- How does inflammation impact my health?
- What factors influence inflammation?
- How can my diet and lifestyle behaviors reduce inflammation?
UNC HEARING AND COMMUNICATION CENTER PROGRAMS:
Falls Prevention at Home
Lindsay Bailey MPH, UNC Trauma Program
“Falls Prevention at Home provides nine falls prevention tips that anyone can implement by making small changes in their home or daily routine. This 20 minute presentation also provides resources that people viewers can access online to make themselves and their homes safer”
Visit https://bit.ly/UNCTrauma to view Lindsay’s presentation.
Older Adult Driving Safety
Presented by: Megan Edwards Collins OT/L - CAPS, Associate Professor, Winston Salem State University and Lindsay Bailey, MPH, UNC Trauma Program
The presentation provides information on how aging effects driving and provides tips and resources for older adults that can help them drive more safely and stay independent longer.”
Fit Seniors Program Waiver
The Fit Seniors program requires physical activity that may present problems if certain medical conditions currently exist. It is our recommendation that the participants consult their physician if they have any questions or concerns about participation in this program. If you choose to participate in this exercise video you agree to hold harmless any persons or organizations involved with the Wellness program exercise videos from any legal action or claims at any time due to your participation in this video. Be sure that you are in good enough physical condition to participate safely.
Live Stream Disclaimer
Orange County is publishing a list of live streamed classes for information and educational purposes only and does not make any representation or warranties with respect to the accuracy, applicability, fitness, or completeness of the multimedia content (“Video Content”). Although the information contained in the live streams are being produced from sources believed to be reliable, no warranty, express or implied, is made regarding the accuracy, completeness, legality, reliability or usefulness of the information, Any reliance on such information is therefore strictly at your own risk. The information contained in the links published represents the views and opinions of the creator of such Video Content and does not necessarily represent the views or the opinions of Orange County. The appearance of a link on the published list does not constitute an endorsement by the County of the Video Content. The Video Content is not intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment. Always seek advice of your physician or other qualified health provider with any question you may have regarding a medical condition, or before starting an exercise or nutrition program.