Plastic Free July
Participate in Plastic-Free July and take the challenge to reduce single-use plastic waste! You may already be taking several steps to minimize your waste or maybe you are beginning your journey towards waste reduction – regardless, use this challenge to find new alternatives that can become new habits forever.
A great place to start is by looking in your bin! Assess the materials that you are currently throwing away and see how you can swap out or reduce those items.
Aside from bringing your own bag and bottle with you, there are various ways you can reduce your plastic usage:
At the grocery store:
- Bring your own bags for produce or don’t use bags at all
- Many stores sell reusable lightweight produce bags to replace using the plastic ones at the store. If your produce doesn’t require a bag, opt out of using one.
- Buy loose fruits and vegetables instead of pre-packaged ones
- Swap liquid soap for bar soaps
- Choose bulk or loose foods if available at your local store
- There are various items you can buy in bulk like nuts, flour, pasta, candy, and dishwashing detergent. Bring your own container to the store and choose the amount you’d like so you’re only buying what you need and avoiding single-use plastics.
- Use reusable food wraps like beeswax wraps or silicone bowl covers to cut out sling wrap and aluminum foil
- Choose dish scrubbers and sponges that are made with compostable materials
- Have reusable containers to use in place of Ziploc bags or plastic wrap
- Have a set of reusable items including a plate, bowl, utensils, cup and napkins
- Bring a mug and a reusable water bottle to work with you
- Make sure your office is sorting its waste and recycling properly
For more information on Plastic Free July and ideas on reducing plastic waste, visit plasticfreejuly.org