Orange County’s Board of Commissioners have approved emergency funds throughout 2020 to assist our many small businesses, farms and food processors that have faced critical financial hardships during the current COVID-19 crisis. Thus far, Orange County’s total pandemic-related emergency financial assistance has already provided 78 separate awards totaling $520,130 for the benefit of these valued small business and agricultural ventures. This assistance was made in the form of two now-completed “Round 1” (loans and grants) and “Round 2” (grants) programs.
Orange County is now offering two small business grant programs, to include a “Round 3” emergency grant program, managed by the Economic Development office.
Orange County’s Business Investment Grant Program
- Application Location: www.growinorangenc.com/about-us/small-business-assistance/small-business-loan-grant/
- Application Deadline: Application period is now open through 5 p.m., Thursday, Dec. 31, 2020.
- Small Grant ($1,500 or less) Use of Funds – Priority will be given to ventures demonstrating a clear need for grant funds to grow their business, hire additional staff, grow the commercial tax base, and/or create a significant social and economic impact in the county.
- Large Grant ($1,500.01 – $10,000) Although all applicants will be considered, business owners who exhibit the following characteristics will be given funding priority:
(a) applicant has a thorough understanding of their market
(b) applicant has assembled a talented team
(c) applicant has a passion for building their venture in Orange County – Priority will be given to “growth” ventures capable of expanding rapidly, renting office space in Orange County, and hiring Orange County employees.
Orange County’s Round #3 Emergency Small Business Funding Program
- Application Location: The application will be available at Noon, Monday, Jan. 4, 2021, on the Orange County website: orangecountync.gov/2362/Emergency-Small-Business-Funding-Program.
- Application Deadline: Final applications must be received by 5 p.m., Wednesday, Jan. 20, 2021
- The purpose of the Orange County Emergency Small Business Funding Program is to assist Orange County-based small businesses that are experiencing financial difficulties such as mandated shutdowns, employee layoffs, and operating losses as a result of ongoing efforts at the Federal, State and local authorities to contain and minimize the spread of the COVID-19 pandemic.
- Businesses that have already received COVID-19 related financial assistance from either the state, federal or local governments are eligible to apply for this third round of emergency funding. Orange County is providing a total of up to $250,000 in funding to support individual grants of approximately $3,000 per applicant for all finalist applicants to the Round #3 program. Final award amount will be determined based on the total number of eligible applications received.