About the Program
If you live in Orange County and want to improve your home health and safety, the Orange County Health Department's Healthy Homes program might be the resource for you! Healthy Homes is a free educational program for families in Orange County. The Healthy Home Specialist can help you take control of health hazards in the home such as air quality, fire safety, fall prevention, prevention of household poisoning, gun storage, onsite water protection, and childhood lead prevention.
The Healthy Homes Environmental Health Specialist will schedule a home assessment and identify environmental triggers that may be making household members sick or injured. They will provide you with a report on how to make your home more healthy and safe.
During the home assessment, the Healthy Homes Coordinator will:
- Identify potential home health and safety hazards.
- Provide health education on environmental health/home safety measures, green cleaning practices, and affordable housing resources.
- Follow-up may be provided to ensure improved health outcomes and behaviors.
Who it Serves
This program serves families and individuals who:
- Live in Orange County
Scheduling an Assessment
- Contact Healthy Homes staff by sending a message to firstname.lastname@example.org or 919-245-2403.
- Self-assessment tool
- To make a referral for a home visit for a child with poorly controlled asthma who lives in Orange County use the provider referral form (PDF)
Interpretation and translation services are provided upon request. Servicios de interpretación y traducción son ofrecidos con su solicitud.
- NC Child for Lead-Free(New)
- Eight Healthy Home Tips(New)
- Lead Prevention Tips(New)
- Radon-Protect You and Your Family
- Firearm Safety (New)
- Green Cleaning - Allergen and Asthma Trigger Prevention (New)
- North Carolina Healthy Homes
- University of North Carolina Children's Asthma Education Videos
- CDC Asthma Resource Page
- National Center for Healthy Housing