Financial Assistance and Court Transportation for Justice Involved County Residents
Need help with transportation to or from Court in Hillsborough? The Orange County Bail Bond Justice Project is generously providing funds for justice-involved individuals with court transportation needs. The Uber funding and Orange-Chapel Hill Connector bus vouchers are being maintained by the Criminal Justice Resource Department. Requests for transportation assistance can be made by emailing or calling Ted, Cait, or Allison at the CJRD or coming to the CJRD Courthouse office.
Additionally, the Bail Bond Justice Project has donated funds for court transportation assistance through Orange County Mobility On Demand (MOD). Visit the Orange County Public Transit Website to learn how to access the Transloc App for requesting rides or visit this flyer to learn more about MOD court transportation assistance through CJRD.
Criminal Justice Debt Program
What is the Criminal Justice Debt Program? Orange County Residents are eligible for funding to pay court fees/costs in NC or other states, as well as NC DMV hearing and reinstatement fees required to restore a license Funding is available through contributions from the Towns of Chapel Hill and Carrboro and the Orange County Bail Bond Justice Project.
- Applicants must live within Orange County, North Carolina
- Costs and fees can be from other counties in North Carolina
- Must meet court indigency standards (low-income)
- Cannot be currently incarcerated
- Must have already pursued other avenues for debt relief (e.g., driver’s license restoration program)
- Must demonstrate that assistance will have an immediate impact on his or her stability or successful reentry into the community
- Fines, Restitution, and Vehicle Registration Costs are not eligible
Interested in Applying? Contact:
- Carrboro Residents call Carrboro Program Administrator: 919-918-7397
- All other Orange County residents call Chapel Hill Police Crisis Unit at 919-968-2806
Page updated 8-14-2023
Criminal Justice Resource DepartmentPhysical Address
106 E Margaret Lane
1st Floor, Courthouse
Hillsborough, NC 27278
Phone: 919-245-2310Fax: 919-640-1729
Ted DorsiPretrial Services DirectorPhone: 919-245.2970; Pretrial Services Report Line: 919-752-4552
Caitlin FenhagenCriminal Justice Resource DirectorPhone: 919-245-2303; cell 919-423-4272
Allison Zirkel, LCSW, LCASClinical CoordinatorPhone: 919-245-2304; Cell: 919-748-2196