We currently offer two types of book clubs, those led by librarians and others led by community members. All book clubs are open to anyone who wishes to join!
Carrboro Book Club (Cybrary in Carrboro or Zoom)
This club meets the 4th Tuesday of the month at 6:30 p.m. Register online or by calling 919.245.2525 (Main Library in downtown Hillsborough) or 919.918.7387 (Cybrary in downtown Carrboro). You will receive the Zoom code the day of the book club.
- March 28, 2023 - Zorrie by Laird Hunt
- April 24, 2023 - Less by Andrew Sean Greer
- May 23, 2023 - Looking for Trouble by Virginia Cowles
- June 27, 2023 - Bewilderment by Richard Powers
Not a Book Club (Zoom)
The next best thing to reading a good book is talking about it with our fellow readers. Join us online the 2nd Thursday of the month at 6:30 p.m. for an informal book discussion. We’re "Not a Book Club," so there’s no assigned reading and no pressure. Just grab a cup of coffee or a glass of wine, and let’s talk books! Register here or call 919.245.2525 for more details.
Page Turners Book Club (Seymour Center in Chapel Hill)
Join us the 3rd Friday of the month from 10-11a.m. at the Seymour Center in Chapel Hill. The book club is free, open to the public and no registration required. Call Maureen at 919.245.2535 or email firstname.lastname@example.org if you have any questions.
- March 17, 2023 - Diary of a Young Naturalist by Dara McAnulty
- April 21, 2023 - The Crossing Places by Elly Griffiths
- May 19, 2023 - The Sweetness at the Bottom of the Pie by Alan Bradley
- June 16, 2023 - The Woman in the Library by Sulari Gentill
Community Member-Led Book Clubs
First Monday Classics (Main Library in Hillsborough)
This club meets the 1st Monday of the month at 6:30 p.m. Please email James Maxey for more details.
- March 6, 2023 – The Bell Jar by Sylvia Plath
- April 3, 2023 – 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea by Jules Verne
- May 1, 2023 – All Quiet on the Western Front by Erich Maria Remarque
- June 5, 2023 – The Well of Loneliness by Radclyffe Hall
- July – no meeting
- August 7, 2023 – Doctor Zhivago by Boris Pasternak
- September – no meeting
- October 2, 2023 – The History of Tom Jones, a Foundling by Henry Fielding
- November 6, 2023 – O Pioneers! by Willa Cather
- December 4, 2023 – The Great Gatsby by F Scott Fitzgerald
Tuesday Evening Book Club (Main Library in Hillsborough)
This club meets the 2nd Tuesday of the month at 6:30 p.m. in the Main Library's meeting room. For meeting information, please contact Sara Levinson.
- March 14, 2023 – The Maid by Nita Prose
- April 11, 2023 –Band of Sisters by Lauren Willig
- May 9, 2023 – 1 of these 4 Hillsborough authors: Frances Mayes, Allan Gurganus, Michael Malone or Lee Smith
- June 13, 2023 – And There Was Light: Abraham Lincoln and the American Struggle by Jon Meacham
- July 11, 2023 – The Thursday Murder Club by Richard Osman
- August 8, 2023 – The New Better Off: Reinventing the American Dream by Courtney Martin
- September 12, 2023 – Reader’s choice
- October 10, 2023 – The Reading List by Sara Nisha Adams
Book Club Kits
If you’d like to start your own book club, we can help. Each kit includes a reader’s guide that contains discussion questions and/or an author spotlight. Find out more information here.