ORANGE COUNTY, NC (October 17, 2017) – One major way residents can have a positive impact on the future of Orange County is to volunteer to serve on the various advisory boards and commissions. 

Currently there are openings on the following advisory boards and commissions. 

Adult Care Home Community Advisory Committee - Members are appointed by the Board of Commissioners to At-Large positions after completing a training session.  There is an initial one-year term with subsequent eligibility for three additional two-year terms.  This committee works to maintain the intent of the Adult Care Home Residents’ Bill of Rights for those residing in licensed adult care homes.  The members of this committee also promote community involvement and cooperation with these homes to ensure quality care for the elderly and disabled adults.  There are currently four (4) At-Large positions vacant.

Carrboro Northern Transition Area Advisory Committee – The committee reviews zoning amendment requests, special / conditional use permit applications for developments within the Northern Transition Area of Carrboro.  The committee makes recommendations to the Carrboro Board of Adjustment or Carrboro Board of Aldermen.  The committee inventories areas of cultural, archaeological, and historic significance.  The committee  researches areas of open space, rural character, scenic qualities, biological values, areas of agricultural uses, and make recommendations based on the above studies for additional policies, goals, etc., that will preserve and enhance the special character of this area and relate to its growth.  The committee consists of five members, three appointed by the County Commissioners.  There is currently one (1) position open for a resident living in the Carrboro Northern Transition Area.

Chapel Hill Board of Adjustment – The Board of County Commissioners appoints citizens to fill three County positions on this board.  The Board hears and decides appeals from any decision or determination by the Town Manager, Council, or the Planning Board in granting or denying site plan approval, or of the Appearance Commission in granting or denying sign plan approval or of the Historic District Commission or Appearance Commission in granting or denying a Certificate of Appropriateness.  There are currently three (3) County positions open and the applicant must live in the Chapel Hill Extraterritorial Jurisdiction (ETJ) or the Joint Planning Area (JPA). 

Commission for the Environment - This commission advises the Board of Commissioners on matters affecting the environment with particular emphasis on protection. It educates public and local officials on environmental issues and performs special studies and projects. It also recommends environmental initiatives and study changes in environmental science and local and federal regulations.  There is currently one (1) open position for an “At-Large Land Resources” representative.

Mebane Board of Adjustment - The Orange County Board of Commissioners appoints one citizen to fill the Orange County position on this board.  The applicant must currently live in the Mebane Extraterritorial Jurisdiction (ETJ).   The Mebane Board of Adjustment hears and decides appeals of decisions by the Mebane Zoning Enforcement Officer. It grants special use permits and variances. When no citizen volunteer(s) will serve, the Board of Adjustment consists of the Town Board.  The one (1) “ETJ” position is currently vacant. 

Nursing Home Community Advisory Committee – This committee helps to maintain the intent of the Residents’ Bill of Rights, promotes community involvement, and provides public education on long-term care issues.  There is currently one (1) “At-Large position vacant.

If interested, apply at .

If you need to verify if your residence is located in the JPA or ETJ of Chapel Hill see the following link for a map , or call Thom Freeman 919-245-2125.

Orange County strives for diversity on volunteer advisory boards.  Minorities are encouraged to apply.  Applicants must reside in Orange County.  Volunteers appointed by the Board of County Commissioners have an opportunity to influence the way of life in Orange County.

For additional information regarding the openings listed, call Thom Freeman 919-245-2125 or email

# # #