Orange County Housing Authority to Open Section 8 Housing Choice Voucher Waiting List for Homeless Only
The Orange County Housing Authority (OCHA) will open the Section 8 Housing Choice Voucher waiting list for HOMELESS ONLY beginning Saturday, Aug. 12. Applications will be accepted through Thursday, Aug. 17, 2017.
- Section 8 Notice | Application | Locations to pick up applications
- Section 8 Notice (Spanish) | Application (Spanish)
The Orange County Housing Authority Administrative Plan defines homeless as: “An individual or family who lacks a fixed, regular, and adequate nighttime residence, meaning:
- An individual or family with a primary nighttime residence that is a public or private place not designed for or ordinarily used as a regular sleeping accommodation for human beings, including a car, park, abandoned building, bus or train station, airport, or camping ground.
- An individual or family living in a supervised publicly or privately operated shelter designated to provide temporary living arrangements (including congregate shelters, transitional housing, and hotels and motels paid for by charitable organizations or by federal, state, or local government programs for low- income individuals.)
- An individual who is exiting an institution where he or she resided for 90 days or less and who resided in an emergency shelter or place not meant for human habitation immediately before entering that institution.”
Applications must be submitted in person or by mail. Applications will NOT be accepted electronically or by facsimile (fax). Applications may be turned in at the Richard L. Whitted Building (300 W. Tryon Street, Hillsborough, NC 27278) from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. on Saturday, Aug. 12, and from 2 – 7 p.m. on Monday and Tuesday, Aug. 14-15.
Applications will be accepted from 9 a.m. to 2 p.m. on Wednesday and Thursday, Aug. 16-17, at the Southern Human Services Center (2501 Homestead Road, Chapel Hill, NC 27516).
Instructions for submitting via U.S. mail:
Applications may be mailed to the address below. Applications must be postmarked by Aug. 17,2017.
Applications will be available to be downloaded online beginning Thursday, August 3, 2017. Please check www.orangecountync.gov/departments/hhrcd/index.php for other locations where you can pick up an application.