ORANGE COUNTY, NC (July 31, 2017) – One major way citizens can have a positive impact on the future of Orange County is to volunteer to serve on the various advisory boards and commissions.    

Currently there are openings on the following advisory boards and commissions. 

Adult Care Home Community Advisory Committee- Members are appointed by the Board of Commissioners to At-Large positions.  This committee works to maintain the intent of the Adult Care Home Residents’ Bill of Rights for those residing in licensed adult care homes.  The members of this committee also promote community involvement and cooperation with these homes to ensure quality care for the elderly and disabled adults.  There is an initial one-year training term with subsequent eligibility for three additional two-year terms. 

Carrboro Board of Adjustment – The Board of Commissioners appoints citizens to fill the two Orange County positions on this board.  This board hears and decides citizen appeals from any order, decision, requirement, or interpretation made by the Zoning Administrator.  It also hears and decides on applications.

Carrboro Northern Transition Area Advisory Commission – The commission reviews zoning amendment requests, special / conditional use permit applications for developments within the Northern Transition Area of Carrboro.  The commission makes recommendations to the Carrboro Board of Adjustment or Carrboro Board of Aldermen.  The commission inventories areas of cultural, archaeological, and historic significance.  The commission  researches areas of open space, rural character, scenic qualities, biological values, areas of agricultural uses, and make recommendations based on the above studies for additional policies, goals, etc., that will preserve and enhance the special character of this area and relate to its growth.  The commission consists of five members, three appointed by the County Commissioners.

Chapel Hill Board of Adjustment – The Board of County Commissioners appoints citizens to fill three County positions on this board.  The Board hears and decides appeals from any decision or determination by the Town Manager, Council, or the Planning Board in granting or denying site plan approval, or of the Appearance Commission in granting or denying sign plan approval or of the Historic District Commission or Appearance Commission in granting or denying a Certificate of Appropriateness. 

Chapel Hill Planning Commission - The Orange County Board of Commissioners appoints representatives to fill two positions on the CHAPEL HILL PLANNING COMMISSION.  These positions represent the EXTRATERRITORIAL JURISDICTION (ETJ) AND JOINT PLANNING AREA (JPA) of Chapel Hill.   The Chapel Hill Planning Board develops a comprehensive plan for the orderly growth and development of Chapel Hill.  It reviews all plans for buildings, projects and facilities to be located within the Town’s jurisdiction.  It also formulates and recommends the adoption and amendment of ordinances.  There is currently one opening on this Commission.

Mebane Board of Adjustment - The Orange County Board of Commissioners appoints one citizen to fill the Orange County position on this board. The Mebane Board of Adjustment hears and decides appeals of decisions by the Mebane Zoning Enforcement Officer. It grants special use permits and variances. When no citizen volunteer(s) will serve, the Board of Adjustment consists of the Town Board.  Applicants must reside in the Mebane ETJ.  There is currently one position open. 

Mebane Planning Board -One member is appointed by the Board of County Commissioners from the extraterritorial area and must be a resident of Orange County. This Mebane Planning Board reviews plans and makes recommendations to the Mebane City Council for proposed and actual developments in Mebane. It also develops and recommends policies, ordinances, and administrative procedures regarding land use and development.  There is currently one position open. 

Nursing Home Community Advisory Committee – This committee helps to maintain the intent of the Residents’ Bill of Rights, promotes community involvement, and provides public education on long-term care issues.  Orange County is currently seeking applicants with nursing home administration background.

Orange County Housing Authority – All members are appointed by the Board of County Commissioners.  The goal of the Orange County Housing Authority board is to provide decent, safe, and sanitary housing for the low and moderate income families in the County.  At least one member of the Board shall be a Section 8 holder.  Other board members may represent the following areas of interest:  real estate, development, affordable housing, real estate and/or municipal law, and banking.

If interested, apply at .

Orange County strives for diversity on volunteer advisory boards.  Minorities are encouraged to apply.  Applicants must reside in Orange County.  Volunteers appointed by the Board of County Commissioners have an opportunity to influence the way of life in Orange County.

For questions regarding the information listed, call Thom Freeman 919-245-2125 or email

# # #