(PLEASE NOTE: Due to technical issues, the first 18 minutes of the recording of the March 22, 2016 meeting contain audio only.)
Orange County Board of Commissioners Meeting Summary March 22, 2016
The Orange County Board of Commissioners met on Tuesday, March 22, 2016 at the BOCC meeting room in the Southern Human Services Center in Chapel Hill. The agenda included the items below. The following is a brief summary of the Board actions. This summary should not be viewed as official minutes.
4. Proclamations/ Resolutions/ Special Presentations
a. Orange County Resolution in Support of the City of Charlotte Non-Discrimination Policy (introduced Tuesday night)
The Board voted to approve a resolution in support of the City of Charlotte’s non-discrimination policy and support for local governments to articulate their own community values of inclusion without interference or suppression by the General Assembly.
5. Public Hearings
a. Public Hearing on the Financing of Various Capital Investment Plan Projects
The Board held a public hearing on the issuance of approximately $8,150,000 to finance capital investment projects and equipment for the fiscal year as approved in the 2015-2016 Capital Investment Plan; and approved, pending staff clarification on sales tax, a related resolution supporting the County’s application to the Local Government Commission (LGC) for its approval of the financing arrangements.
7. Regular Agenda
a. Consideration of a Third Party Analysis to Prioritize School Capital Projects
The Board voted to use two scheduled future meetings for discussion of school capital needs instead of hiring a consultant to conduct a comparative analysis of school facility needs.
b. Introduction of Bond Orders and Scheduling of Bond Order Public Hearing in Preparation for Planned November 2016 Bond Referendum
The Board voted to:
1) Introduce two bond orders which state the Board of County Commissioners proposal to issue General Obligation Bonds to pay capital costs for providing school facilities and for housing for persons with low and moderate income.
• The first bond order introduction authorizes the issuance of General Obligation Bonds in an amount not to exceed $120 million to support school facilities.
• The second bond order introduction authorizes issuance of General Obligation Bonds in an amount not to exceed $5 million for housing for persons with low and moderate income.
2) Adopted a resolution authorizing a public hearing on each bond order for April 19, 2016 at 7:00 p.m. at the County’s Southern Human Services Center, 2501 Homestead Road, Chapel Hill, NC.
The Board also voted to add an additional public hearing on May 5, 2016 at 7:00 p.m. the County’s Whitted meeting facility, 300 W. Tryon St. in Hillsborough.
- c. Proposed Establishment of Bond Education Committee Including Structure and Charge
The Board voted to establish a Bond Education Committee that will develop and assist in disseminating information to voters concerning the November 8, 2016 bond referendum and approved a proposed charge to, and structure of, that Bond Education Committee.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
NOTE: Due to technical issues, the first 18 minutes of the recording of the March 22, 2016 meeting contain audio only.
The most recent Board meeting is replayed on Time Warner Cable digital channel 1301 at noon and 7:00 p.m. daily usually starting the day after the meeting. Board meetings are also available via streaming video at http://www.orangecountync.gov/departments/board_of_county_commissioners/videos.php . Streaming video is usually online by noon the day following the meeting. The video is indexed to take you directly to your topic of interest.
The full agenda is posted at http://www.orangecountync.gov/departments/board_of_county_commissioners/agendas.php typically by Friday noon prior to a Tuesday night meeting. To receive an email notice of the agenda availability, go to the following webpage, http://www.orangecountync.gov/departments/board_of_county_commissioners/receive_e-mail_notifications.php , type in your email address, check “Sunshine List” and click on subscribe.