ORANGE COUNTY, NC (February 2, 2016) – One major way citizens can have a positive impact on the future of Orange County is to volunteer to serve on the various advisory boards and commissions.   

The Orange County Board of Commissioners appoints representatives to fill two positions plus and alternate on the TOWN OF HILLSBOROUGH BOARD OF ADJUSTMENT.  The alternate position is currently open. The person appointed will represent and must reside in the Extraterritorial Jurisdiction (ETJ) of the Town of Hillsborough.

The Town of Hillsborough Board of Adjustment has the following responsibilities.

(a)    Hear, review, and decide appeals from and review any order, requirement, decision, or determination made by the Planning Department in the performance of official duties relative to enforcement of the Town’s Unified Development Ordinance (UDO) and Minimum Housing Code.

(b)   Hear, review, and decide appeals from decisions of the Town of Hillsborough Historic District Commission.

(c)    Hear and decide applications for the approval of Conditional Use Permits as prescribed by the Town’s UDO.

(d)   Hear and decide applications for variances from the provisions of the Town’s UDO and Flood Damage Prevention Ordinance.

(e) Pass upon, decide, or determine such other matters as may be required by the Town’s UDO.

It may also serve as an appeals board for other matters assigned to it under the Town Code of Ordinances. 

If interested, apply online at

Orange County strives for diversity on volunteer advisory boards.  Minorities are encouraged to apply.  Applicants must reside in Orange County.  Volunteers appointed by the Board of County Commissioners have an opportunity to influence the way of life in Orange County.

If you need to verify if your residence is located in the ETJ of Hillsborough see the map at the following link,  or for additional information call Thom Freeman 919-245-2125.

 # # #