more news

Registered Motor Vehicle Taxes

Request email notification when page changes Email me page updates

Tag & Tax System
Effective with September 2013 registration renewals, the North Carolina Division of Motor Vehicles (NCDMV) began collecting the property tax on registered motor vehicles.

The new law transferred the responsibility for motor vehicle tax collection from the county to the North Carolina Division of Motor Vehicles (NCDMV). The Tag & Tax Together program combines your North Carolina vehicle's registration fees and property taxes into one renewal notice that is sent to you by the NCDMV about 60 days before your vehicle registration expires. More information is available at North Carolina Department of Motor Vehicles.

You may appeal the value of your vehicle within 30 days of the due date with the Orange County Tax Office. In addition, you may request a proration if you no longer own a vehicle with the Orange County Tax Office.

Click on a link below to view an informational brochure about the recent changes in how you pay property taxes on your registered motor vehicle: 
Tag & Tax System Brochure
Spanish Tag & Tax System Brochure

Vehicle Registration Gap Property Tax Notice
What is this Gap Property Tax Notice that I just recieved?
Gap billing is a property tax bill that covers the months between the expiration of a vehicle’s registration and the renewal of that registration or the issuance of a new registration.  The vehicle is unregistered during the gap in registration. For more information, go to the FAQs link or contact the Orange County Tax Office at 919-245-2100 or by emailing and reference Gap Billing Notice.

Receipt for Taxes
The North Carolina Division of Motor Vehicles (NCDMV) now collects the property tax on registered motor vehicles.To determine and/or document the amount of property tax paid on your vehicle, four methods are available:

  1. Reference the right half of your perforated registration card mailed to you by NCDMV upon renewal.  It is a receipt of taxes and fees paid.
  2. Contact NCDMV at (919) 814-1779 and request a duplicate receipt be mailed to you.
  3. If renewing online, submit an email address during the registration renewal process and have a receipt emailed to you for record retention.
  4. Go to then select: MyDMV (which is located on the NC DMV web page). A list of credentials required to retrieve an individual's unofficial paid property tax receipts are:
    • NC Driver's License or NC Identification Card Number.
    • The last 4 digits of your Social Security Number, I-94 (Arrival/Departure US Customs Form) or Alien Registration Number.
    • You will be required to enter your birthday as well.
    • Once you have logged in, you will see "Correspondence" on the right side of the window. Each year that you have paid vehicle property taxes through the DMV will be listed there. Select the desired year and the system will produce a tax statement. It will show the amount of vehicle property taxes paid for the year, show the amount per vehicle and the taxing county. The tax statement may be printed for income tax purposes. Currently businesses are not be able to access tax information through the MyDMV Portal.