more news

Personal Property

Request email notification when page changes Email me page updates

Personal property includes, but is not limited to:

  • Unlicensed vehicles

  • Campers, camper trailers

  • Singlewide manufactured homes

  • Boats, boat motors

  • Jet skis

  • Aircraft

  • Hot air balloons

  • Gliders

Owners of these items must list them with the Tax Office each January. A listing penalty of 10% is added for any property that has not been listed before the end of each January.

Vehicle Registration Gap Property Tax Notice

What is this Gap Property Tax Notice that I just recieved?
Gap billing is a property tax bill that covers the months between the expiration of a vehicle’s registration and the renewal of that registration or the issuance of a new registration.  The vehicle is unregistered during the gap in registration. For more information, go to the FAQs link or contact the Orange County Tax Office at 919-245-2100 or by emailing and reference Gap Billing Notice.

2018 Tax Listing Period By NC General Statute, personal property and certain real property is to be listed for property tax purposes by January 31 of each year.

  • If you did not recieve a Property Tax Listing form, print one here or contact us.

  • Property is taxed based on its location on January 1st. If property is moved to another county in North Carolina after January 1st, the Orange County tax bill is correct for this year. The property owner is required to file a Property Tax Listing form in the new county for the upcoming year and notify Orange County that the property has been moved.

  • While unlicensed vehicles must be listed annually in January, licensed vehicles(registered motor vehicles) should not be listed annually, with the exception of multi-year tagged vehicles.

  • Appeals: Once you have submitted your listing form and you have recieved your tax bill, you may request an appeal. Appeal requests must be recieved in the Tax Office within 30 days of the billing date on your bill. Therefore, it is suggested that you verify the information on your bill as soon as you recieve it.

  • Tax bills for licensed vehicles are now included in the invitation to renew your license plate that you recieve from the NC Department of Motor Vehicles. The taxes must be paid when the vehicle is registered, and they must be paid to the NC Department of Motor Vehicles.

Mobile Home Moving Permits
North Carolina State law requires a moving permit be issued each time a mobile home is moved. Permits are issued in the Tax Office only after proof that all current and back taxes for the mobile home are paid in full.