Orange County Tax Office issues two types of business licenses, which are Beer & Wine and Massage licenses.
Beer and Wine Licenses
A business that serves beer and wine must have a County license before opening for business.
A copy of your North Carolina State ABC License is required for our office to issue your County license for the first time. A copy of your temporary NC State ABC License is acceptable.
All licenses expire April 30, no matter what date the license is issued. The license must be renewed each year for a fee.
If your business is located in the city limits of Hillsborough, Chapel Hill, or Carrboro, you may be required to purchase a beer and wine license from them as well. Contact information is below:
Town of Hillsborough 919-732-2104
- Town of Chapel Hill 919-968-2759
- Town of Carrboro 919-942-8541
- A business that has a massage practitioner on site must obtain a massage practitioner business license.
- In addition, each massage practitioner must obtain a massage practitioner license as well.
- Each business and massage practitioner must be approved by the County's screening process before the Tax Office can issue a license. Contact the Orange County Sheriff's Office to request an application.
- Once the application has been approved you may purchase a license from the Orange County Tax Office.
- All licenses expire June 30, no matter what date the license is issued. The license must be renewed each year for a fee.