County Government Academy Curriculum
- Session 1 (Feb. 20, 2017 – Chapel Hill): Who’s responsible for this? An overview of the intergovernmental system (state, federal, municipalities and schools) and the role of county government. Presenter: Kara Millonzi, School of Government
- Session 2 (March 6, 2017 – Hillsborough): Public safety. Tour of the Orange County 9-1-1 Communications Center and the Emergency Operations Center (Meadowlands Drive) with presentation from emergency management staff combined with tour of Passmore (103 Meadowlands Drive). Presenters: Orange County staff.
- Session 3 (March 20, 2017 – Chapel Hill): Bottom Line! Budget simulation, facilitated by faculty from the School of Government at the University of North Carolina-Chapel Hill. Presenter: Lydian Altman, SOG.
- Session 4 (April 3, 2017 – Hillsborough): Public health/DSS. Tour of Orange County public health facilities at Whitted with presentation from Health Department staff and presentation from Department of Social Services.
- Session 5 (April 17, 2017 – Chapel Hill): Solid Waste. Tour of Solid Waste facility with presentations. Presenter: Muriel Williman.
- Session 6 (May 1, 2017 -- Hillsborough): Board of Elections/Register of Deeds/Planning. Presenter: Orange County staff.
- Session 7 (May 15, 2017 – Chapel Hill): Animal Services. Tours of Animal Services (1601 Eubanks Road) facility with presentations. Presenters: Orange County staff.
- Session 8 (June 5, 2017 – Hillsborough): Volunteer opportunities; Course review and feedback; Graduation ceremony (receive certificates at BOCC meeting). Presenters: Thom Freeman and Todd McGee.
Each meeting will begin at 6 p.m.
Unless otherwise specified, meetings in Chapel Hill will be held in the conference room at the Solid Waste Department (1207 Eubanks Road, Chapel Hill). Meetings in Hillsborough will be held in the second floor conference room of the Whitted Building (300 W. Tryon St., Hillsborough).