The administration of the department is the responsibility of Craig N. Benedict, AICP. Administrative duties include:
- Implementing the goals of the Orange County Board of County Commissioners;
- Coordinating the activities of the various internal divisions towards successful implementation of adopted regulations;
- Preparing and monitoring departmental annual budget;
- Researching and analyzing planning techniques and issues such as adequate public facilities, transfer of development rights and growth impact models;
- Providing intergovernmental coordination with the municipal jurisdictions of Chapel Hill, Carrboro, Hillsborough, Mebane and other local, state, regional and federal agencies;
- Serving as liaison for a variety of boards, committees and projects related to topics such as schools, economic development, census, etc.;
- Evaluating and monitoring performance standards of employee activity; and
- Providing public information to our customers, the citizens and businesses of Orange County.
The department has been charged with a comprehensive set of goals and accordingly certain operational changes will be necessary. Process and procedure modifications will be necessary to prepare the Planning and Inspections Department for the increasing technological and developmental pressures of the coming years.
Thank you for your interest in the Planning and Inspections functions of Orange County. For additional information, please contact the following division supervisors for a prompt reply:Comprehensive Planning - Tom Altieri, Supervisor
Current Planning and Zoning - Michael Harvey, Supervisor
Engineering - Kevin Lindley, Engineer
Erosion Control and Stormwater - Wesley Poole, Division Officer II
Inspections - Dan Bruce, Supervisor
Planning Systems- Perdita Holtz, Supervisor