Home Based Business Rules and Regulations

Request email notification when page changes Email me page updates

All jurisdictions within Orange County allow home occupations but have differing regulations regarding the type and intensity of uses.  In all cases, houses in residential zones must continue to be primarily a home, and a place of business only as a secondary or minor use.  Permits issued by the jurisdiction’s Zoning officer are required.

Business owners should clear any proposed Home Occupation with their local planning and zoning office before beginning.  A full copy of each entity’s ordinance, an application, and other information are included. 

Orange County Regulations/Application

Town of Carrboro Regulations/Application

Chapel Hill Regulations/Application

Town of Hillsborough Regulations