The Orange County Health Department is committed to the protection of county groundwater resources in order to assure a safe and adequate supply of water for our citizens. Environmental Health provides a variety of water testing services for citizens who are served by well water.
- Water Sample Application
- ONLINE Water Sample Application
- Federal Criteria for Safe Drinking Water
- Disinfection of Wells (chlorination procedure)
- Disinfection of Wells (chlorination procedure for sulphur bacteria)
- Well Information
- Well Repair Fund for American Stone Quarry Area
- Well Repair Fund for the Orange County Landfill Area
- Well and Water Testing Frequently Asked Questions
- Well and Water Testing Additional Resources
Hexavalent Chromium is a carcinogen caused by the natural leaching of mostly volcanic rocks in aquifers across the Piedmont region of North Carolina. Contamination stems from water-rock interactions that are common across the region. This is not limited only to wells near coal ash ponds.
Testing for Hexavalent Chromium
Hexavalent Chromium and Coal Ash panel are special order kits. Hexavalent Chromium is a time sensitive kit because it contains a preservative. We only order the kit when a sample is requested. We send all of our samples to the state lab. Health Department staff have to collect the samples using the kit and ship to lab to maintain chain of custody.
Cost of testing for Hexavalent Chromium and Coal Ash in Orange County
Hexavalent Chromium - $90
Coal Ash Inorganic Panel - $110
Water Sample Application, including tests for Hexavalent Chromium and Coal Ash
Fact sheet on Hexavalent Chromium
Memo on Hexavalent Chromium from the NC Division of Public Health