Smoke-Free Public Places
About the Orange County Smoke-Free Public Places Rule
- Philosophy statement - Developed by the Enforcement Workgroup made up of members of the law enforcement community and public health
- Frequently Asked Questions about enforcement
Compliance Issues Complaint Form
- You may file a complaint with the Orange County Health Department if you have observed a violation of the Smoke-Free Public Places Rule.
Compliance Videos - How to...
Taking matters into your own hands. How to tell someone "You can't smoke here".
So you want to help enforce the smoking ban but are hesitant to go up to someone and tell them "you can't smoke here". We created these videos just for you.
- Residents - How residents and visitors alike can help enforce the rule
- Employees - How county and municiple employees can help enforce the rule
Now AvailableSmoke-Free Public Places window clings and stickers
To get your free cling or sticker send us an email at firstname.lastname@example.org or call (919) 245-2480 and let us know if you want the Breathe Easy or Smoke-Free/No Fumar version.
The 2010 NC Smoke-free Restaurants and Bars Law (N.C. Gen. Stat. 130A-498) allows local governments to adopt and enforce smoke-free ordinances that are broader than State law in local government buildings, on local government grounds, in local vehicles, or in public places.
As a part of its 2012-2014 strategic plan the Orange County Board of Health reviewed existing County smoke-free policies, solicited public input, deliberated on the issue, and subsequently voted to approve the new rule that expands jurisdiction to be more comprehensive of public places.
Public Input Period (September 27, 2012 - October 24, 2012)
The public was invited to share their thoughts on the proposed Rule in five ways: An online survey, e-mail, telephone comment line, U.S. Mail, and Public Hearing.
Public Input SurveySurvey Questions
Related Press Releases
- Educational Videos Support Orange County's Smoking Ban (Release Date: 11-3-14)
- Orange County Marks Significant Tobacco Prevention Anniversaries (Release Date: 1-7-14)
- Orange County Promotes Smoking Cessation and Supportive Environments During the Great American Smokeout and Throughout the Year (Release Date: 11-21-13)
- Orange County Implements First Phase: Smoke-Free Public Places Rule (Release Date: 1-1-13)
- Orange County Board of County Commissioners Adopts Smoke-Free Public Places Rule (Release Date: 11-21-12)
- Orange County Board of Health Approves Smoke-Free Public Places Rule (Release Date: 10-25-12)
- Board of Health Seeks Public Input on Proposed Smoke-Free Rule (Release Date: 9-27-12)
- Orange County Board of Health Proposes Rule to Make Public Places Smoke-Free (Release Date: 9-20-12)
For more information contact:
April Richard, Tobacco Prevention and Control Program Coordinator
Phone: (919) 245-2424