Login to WebEOC (Community Emergency Partners Link to access WebEOC System)
Welcome to READY ORANGE
Your "one stop shop" for preparedness information in Orange County!
General Preparedness Information
Build a Kit -
When an emergency strikes your family may be without power or access to grocery stores, running water or other day-to-day necessities. The best way to prepare for that is to build a Family Emergency Kit. The Kit should have some basic items, but should match you and your family - like a fingerprint, no two kits will look exactly alike.
The Kit will be helpful whether you are staying at home or you have to leave on short notice. The links below point to several different checklists for emergency kits, so make sure to check them out for different ideas!
Make a Plan -
If a disaster strikes your family may be split up already, or be split up as a result. The best way to assure that you can make contact is to make a plan for how you all will check-in and get back together. The two links below have excellent information on making a plan, including a printable form that you can fill out and give to each family member.
Get Involved -
There are more ways than ever to become better prepared and more connected to an emergency response than ever. Check out the links below to see if one of these volunteer opportunities is right for you.
Be Informed -
- The National Weather Service - For up to date weather forecasts, storm tracks, and preparedness info
- ReadyNC.org - For much more information in North Carolina including evacuation info and more on specific hazards
- Red Cross Disaster Services - Your source for Red Cross info
To Report Problems During and After a Disaster -
- Duke Power 1-800-POWERON (1-800-769-3766) (Click here for Duke Power outtage maps)
- Piedmont Electric Main Office:1-800-449-2667 OR Report Outage:1-800-222-3107 (PEMC outtage map)
- Progress Energy 1-800-419-6356 (Click here for Progress outtage maps)
- PSNC 1-877-776-2427 (Click here for signs of a gas leak)
Downed Trees & debris:
- For downed trees and other debris in a roadway, assure that you are in a safe location and call 9-1-1
- For downed trees on private property contact the primary insurer of the property and then contact a private debris removal company
- Report flooding by calling 9-1-1
Shelters - Orange County officials work with the Orange County Chapter of the American Red Cross to open Emergency Shelters when the need arises. There are 2 primary Orange County Emergency Shelters:
- Smith Middle School - 9201 Seawell School Rd, Chapel Hill
- CW Stanford Middle School - 308 Orange High School Rd, Hillsborough
Considerations - Shelters require you to be as informed and prepared as possible
- If you need special assistance in a disaster call 919-245-2884 to register for assistance before a disaster strikes.
- Shelter locations may change depending on the emergency
- Listen to the radio for further directions concerning shelter openings:
- WCHL-AM (1360), WCHL-FM (97.9), WDCG-FM (105.1), WRAL-FM (101.5), WYMY-FM (La Ley 101.1 in Spanish)
- Shelters will have food or water, but will not have easy access to medications or many other personal needs.
- Bring Picture ID
- Regularly taken medications
- Insurance information
- Comfortable Clothing
- Personal radios - with headphones
- Games , reading material or other things to pass the time - especially for children
- Specialty items for your needs
- DO NOT bring weapons, illegal drugs, candles or valuables
- Smoking IS NOT allowed inside the shelter
- Service animals for the hearing and visually impaired will be allowed in the shelter
- All other animals are welcome at the shelter and Animal Services Staff will be on hand to board pets in the best manner possible
- Owners of large animals and livestock should make preparations for their animals as very limited support will be provided in a disaster
CPR/First Aid Courses
Orange County Emergency Services has partnered with South Orange Rescue Squad, who provides free CPR and First Aid classes to the community. For more information regarding the types of classes and contact information click here or the logo below.
If you have more questions contact Kirby Saunders