DEAPR Calendar more news

Roads and Streets within Orange County

Request email notification when page changes Email me page updates

streetsignssmallRoad Sign Maintenance
Orange County provides road sign maintenance for all state-maintained intersections outside of any city limits. Orange County does not maintain private street signs.  To report a missing or damaged state-maintained road sign in the unincorporated parts of the County, OR to verify that the road is state-maintained plesae complete the online form or call Beth Young at (919) 245-2510. You will need to provide the following information:

  • the names of both roads at the intersection
  • whether or not the sign/pole are missing or just fallen to the ground
  • your name and contact information (phone or email) 

Signs are replaced as soon as possible depending on availability. Street sign issues within city limits can be reported at the maintenance numbers below.

Road and Street Maintenance
Road maintenance service is not provided by Orange County. Each municipality maintains streets, roads, and street signs within their city limits. The North Carolina Department of Transportaion maintains all streets and roads in unincorporated areas.

Here is contact information for road maintenance:

  • Carrboro - Contact the Carrboro Streets Superintendent at (919) 918-7432
  • Chapel Hill - Contact The Town of Chapel Hill Public Works Department at (919) 969-5100
  • Hillsborough - Contact the Town of Hillsborough at (919) 732-2104
  • North Carolina Department of Transportation - State maintained roads outside of city limits
    Contact the Orange County Highway Maintenance Engineer at 919-732-4330 or the State Customer Service Office at 1–877–DOT–4YOU.