Campaign Reporting and Candidate Information

Request email notification when page changes Email me page updates

calculatorCampaign Reporting 
Campaign Disclosure Reports
Reporting Schedule
Campaign Reporting Forms
2018 Candidate's Guide
General Candidate Filing Information - State Board of Elections

Who must file campaign reports?
What forms are to be filed?
Where can these forms be obtained?
How should these forms be filed? 

Candidate Information
Any candidate, referendum committee, or political action committee (PAC) as defined in NCGS §163-278.6 must register their committee by filing the appropriate campaign organizational forms.
Required Treasurer Training

NCGS §163-278.7: Every treasurer of a political committee shall participate in training as to the duties of the office within three months of appointment, and at least every four years thereafter.  Click here for a complete list of available mandatory training seminars.
Political Signs
Statutes Regarding Political Signs 
Candidates should contact the individual Planning Departments regarding signage. The County and each Municipality has their own ordinance regarding signage.
Planning Department Information
Orange County Planning Dept: 919-245-2575
Chapel Hill Planning Dept: 919-968-2728
Carrboro Planning Dept: 919-918-7324
Hillsborough Planning Dept: 919-732-1270
Mebane Planning Dept. - 919-563-9990

Who must file campaign reports?

Persons required to file Campaign Disclosure Reports with the Orange County Board of Elections are candidates for:

  • County Commissioners
  • Clerk of Superior Court
  • Sheriff
  • Register of Deeds
  • Soil & Water Conservation District Supervisors
  • Mayors and City/Town Council Members/Commissioner Members
  • Board of Education Members
  • Referenda committees and PACs influencing issues strictly within the confines of Orange County.
  • All Joint Fundraiser Committees must file Campaign Disclosure Reports, regardless of amounts spent or received.
Candidates with intentions of spending and/or receiving $1000 or less, or with intentions of not spending any money other than the fiilng fee to run for office, will file a Certification of Threshold in lieu of Campaign Disclosure Reports.

All other candidates running for offices not listed above, and all state PACS and Referenda committees must file Campaign Disclosure Reports with the State Board of Elections rather than the Orange County Board of Elections.

What forms are to be filed?

The forms are varied, depending on what type of committee and the amount of committee expenditures and receipts. Most committees file a Statement of Organization, a Certification of Treasurer, a Certification of Financial Account Information, and periodic financial Disclosure Reports.

Where can these forms be obtained?

Forms are available by clicking on the following: Campaign Reporting Forms; or you may pick up forms at the Orange County Board of Elections office.

How should forms be filed?

All campaign reports must be delivered:

  • In person - Orange County Board of Elections, 208 S. Cameron Street, Hillsborough, or
  • By mail - Orange County Board of Elections, PO Box 220, Hillsborough, NC 27278 (certified mail is strongly recommended).

All candidates required to file campaign reports with this office will be notified by mail 2 weeks (municipal candidates) to a month (all others) prior to the due date of the next report due.