Volunteers make a difference! We rely on the hard work, love and commitment of our volunteers in all of our programs.
Volunteer Age Guidelines
- Age 16 and older: volunteer with no special supervision
- Age 13 - 15 : volunteer with parent or adult supervision
- Are your children too young to volunteer? There are other ways to help! Please contact Cooper at 919-932-4965 or send her an email.
Volunteers may come to the Animal Services Center to volunteeer during the following hours:
- Monday, Wednesday, Friday: 8:30 – 6:00
- Tuesday, Thursday: 8:30 – 7:30
- Saturday: 8:30 – 5:00
There are two volunteer orientations scheduled each month and each one lasts approximately 90 minutes. All volunteers are required to attend orientation. Our orientations are posted on the 15th of every month (or the Friday before if the 15th falls on a weekend). They fill up quickly. To register for an orientation, click here. If you receive a message saying that there are no spots available OR no message at all, that means the upcoming orientations are full.
Volunteer training is scheduled every month. All vounteers are required to attend training. You must pre-register for training at orientation.
Volunteer opportunities are categorized by groups:
Basic – entry level volunteer position
Advanced – after twenty four (24) hours of basic volunteering
Mentoring – after a combination of 36 hours of basic and advanced, plus apply with the Program Coordinator.
If you have a special skill, talent or hobby, please feel free to share them with us. There may be a need you can help with.
- Clerical Assistant
- Cat Socializer
- Dog Walker
- Kennel Assistant for cats and dogs
- Outreach/ Special Events Representative
- Small Animal Companion
- Facility Friend
- Emergency Shelter Assistant
- Adoption/Meet and Greet Counselor
- Pet Visitation
- Co-location Shelter Assistant
- Animal Training Assistant
- Public Speaker
- Dog Walking off campus
- Volunteer Mentor – “Go To” person for new volunteers and to give gentle reminders for other volunteers.
- Training Mentor – assist with the volunteer orientation, volunteer training, adoption, meet and greet, and disaster management trainings
- Adoption Meet and Greet Mentor – assist the new counselors with questions shadowing, etc
You can email Cooper Hatch, Program Assistant, or call her at 919-932-4965, if you would like more information.
1601 EUBANKS RD.
CHAPEL HILL, NC 27516