The Orange County Public Library announces a new twist on National Library Card Sign-up Month. Anyone who signs up for or renews a library card September 1-30 will be entered into a drawing to have tea with Lee Smith or an ice cream sundae with John Claude Bemis. Existing cardholders may enter the drawing if they bring a friend to the library to get a card. Come to any of our three locations to get a library card or to save time, begin the process online.
How This Works
- Come to one of our locations in Hillsborough or Carrboro.
- Apply for or renew your library card.
- If you already have a library card with us, then bring a friend to get a card and you may both enter the drawing.
- There will be 3 winners for Tea for 3 with Lee and 3 winners for Ice Cream with John in late October-early November.
- Winners of the drawings will be announced, Tuesday, October 1. You do not need to be present to win. We will contact you via email or phone.
Who Can Get a Library Card Here
If you are a resident of Alamance, Caswell, Chatham, Durham, Orange, or Person counties, you may get a free library card at the Orange County Public Library. If you live in a county other than those listed, but work for Durham Tech, Orange County Government, Town of Carrboro, Town of Hillsborough, or UNC Health Care, you may also get a free library card. All staff of both the Chapel Hill-Carrboro City Schools and Orange County Schools are entitled to get an educator account with the Orange County Public Library. All students in both school systems will be signed up by their school districts for a Student Easy Access (SEA) account.
About National Library Card Sign-up Month
Since 1987, Library Card Sign-up Month has been held each September to mark the beginning of the school year. During the month, the American Library Association and libraries unite in a national effort to ensure every child signs-up for their own library card.
Throughout the school year, public librarians and library staff will assist parents and caregivers with saving hundreds of dollars on educational resources and services for students. From free access to STEAM programs/activities, educational apps, in-person and virtual homework help, technology workshops to the expertise of librarians, a library card is one of the most cost effective back to school supplies available.