Prescription Drug Drop Boxes
Prescription Drug Drop Boxes
Prescription drugs must be taken correctly, stored securely, disposed of properly, and never shared. Now you can safely and properly dispose of unwanted, unused, and/or expired medications!
Bring any unused or expired medications to the drop boxes so they are properly disposed of.
- While it may not seem like a big deal to have medications lying around in the home, it could easily lead down a tragic path of addiction or unintentional poisonings.
- Take the simple step of disposing of medications!
Drop Box Locations
No questions asked. Visit one of the following locations:
|Hillsborough Police Department||(919) 732-9381||127 North Churton Street, Hillsborough, NC 27278||Monday-Friday 8:00am to 5:00pm|
|Orange County Sheriffs Office||(919) 644-3050||106 East Margaret Lane, Hillsborough, NC 27278||Monday-Friday 8:00am to 5:00pm|
|Carrboro Police Department||(919) 918-7397||100 N. Greensboro Street, Carrboro, NC 27510||Monday-Friday 8:00am to 5:00pm|
|Chapel Hill Police Department||(919) 968-2743||405 Martin Luther King, Jr. Drive, Chapel Hill, NC 27514||Monday-Friday 8:00am to 5:00pm|
|Walgreens Store Number 16128||(919) 732-6263||200 Highway 70 East, Hillsborough, NC 27278||Monday-Friday 8:00am to 10:00pm, Saturday 9:00am to 7:00pm, Sunday 10:00am to 6:00pm|
|Hillsborough Pharmacy and Nutrition||(919) 245-1212||110 Boone Square Street, Hillsborough, NC 27278||Monday-Friday 8:30am to 6:30pm, Saturday 10:00am to 2:00pm|
|UNC Hillsborough Campus||(919) 595-5900||430 Waterstone Drive, Hillsborough, NC 27278||Monday-Friday 8:00am to 5:00pm|
|CVS Store Number 3898||(919) 942-5125||1718 North Fordham Blvd, Chapel Hill, NC 27514||Monday-Sunday 8:00am to 12:00am|
Locate drug drop boxes in other cities and states. Save lives. Protect the environment. Dispose of unnecessary medications.
Drop Off Guidelines
Drug drop boxes are intended for liquid and pill medications that are expired, unused, or unwanted. Liquid medications must remain in original containers. PLEASE SEAL LIQUID MEDICATIONS IN A CLOSED ZIPLOC BAG. Pill medications may remain in original containers or be placed in a seal-able plastic bag. Do not drop loose pills.
Please remember to remove all identifiable information from containers or packages before disposal.
Do NOT Drop
Facts About Prescription Medication
- Unused or expired prescription medications are a public safety issue, leading to accidental poisoning, overdose, and abuse.
- Unused prescription drugs thrown in the trash can be retrieved and abused or illegally sold.
- Unused drugs that are flushed can contaminate the water supply.
- Prescription drugs can be just as dangerous as street drugs when taken without a doctor's supervision.
- The majority of teens abusing prescription drugs get them from home medicine cabinets.
- The non-medical use of prescription drugs ranks second only to marijuana as the most common form of drug abuse in America.
Request Promotional Materials
If you or your organization would like to obtain drug drop box promotional cards, please contact Ashley Rawlinson, Healthy Carolinians of Orange County Coordinator.