Emergency Housing Assistance
UPDATE: Due to limited funds, effective December 16, 2020 Emergency Housing Assistance will be reserved for applicants in emergency situations only (e.g., imminent utility disconnection). Please contact the Housing Helpline for more information: HousingHelp@orangecountync.gov or 919-245-2655.
Emergency Housing Assistance (EHA) Para español, haga clic aquí
The Emergency Housing Assistance fund was created under the Risk Mitigation and Housing Displacement Fund to help Orange County residents with low incomes secure and maintain stable housing. Assistance is available to households in Orange County that:
- Earn no more than 60% of the area median income (AMI),
- Have an urgent need for housing assistance that is related to the COVID-19 pandemic, and
- Do not have adequate savings or resources to cover the cost of their housing need.
The most current income limits for Orange County are below:
- 1-person household: $38,220
- 2-person household: $43,680
- 3-person household: $49,140
- 4-person household: $54,540
- 5-person household: $58,920
- 6-person household: $63,084
- 7-person household: $67,680
- 8-person household: $72,000
NOTICE: Due to ;limited funds, effective December 16, 2020, Emergency Housing Assistance will be reserved for applicants in emergency situations only (e.g., imminent utility disconnection).
The total amount of assistance provided to any household may not exceed $6,500.
Donating to the Emergency Housing Assistance (EHA) Fund
If you would like support the County’s work to prevent evictions and homelessness, please visit the Community Giving website to donate to the Emergency Housing Assistance Fund. Your donation will directly assist people experiencing housing emergencies in Orange County to remain stable in housing. Upon making your donation, please indicate that the funds should go towards the “Emergency Housing Assistance Fund” operated by the Orange County Department of Housing and Community Development.
How to Apply for EHA
- Complete an Emergency Housing Assistance application (which can be downloaded from the "Documents" section) and provide:
- Documentation verifying total gross household income*
- Documentation verifying total household savings/assets/cash*
- Statement, invoice, or other documentation of the expense(s) to be covered
- Submit your application and attachments by email to HousingHelp@orangecountync.gov or drop in the drop box outside the Housing Department office (300 W. Tryon St, 3rd Floor, Hillsborough, NC 27278)
- Contact the Housing Helpline (HousingHelp@orangecountync.gov or 919-245-2655) if you have questions
* See the EHA Application for a checklist of the acceptable source documentation
Contact the Housing Helpline at HousingHelp@orangecountync.gov or 919-245-2655