Business Personal Property
"A business is a commercial activity operated as a means of livelihood or profit, or an entity which engages in such actions."
Business are responsible for annually completing and submitting a business personal property listing form to the Tax Office.
The listing period is January 1st through January 31st. Late listing penalties are charged for any listing that is not submitted by the January 31st deadline each year.
Listing Business Personal Property
Business personal property includes but is not limited to machinery, computer/office equipment, furniture equipment, and farm equipment. The listing must be submitted during the month of January to avoid a 10% late list penalty. However, statutorily an extension can be granted until April 15**, if the request is made in writing and is postmarked or submitted by January 31.* If you have any questions concerning business personal property, please contact us.
Generally, business personal property should be listed at 100% of the original cost to the original owner. The property is then valued using the North Carolina Department of Revenue Cost Index and Depreciation Schedules as a guide to calculate the replacement cost new and depreciation amounts. Other appraisal methods are used when appropriate.
*Note: For the current year, 2021, the deadline to submit a listing form or a request for an extension is February 28, 2021.
**Note: For the current year, 2021, the deadline to submit your listing form if an extension has been granted is April 15, 2021.
Business Listing Forms
- Complete and submit the pre-printed form that was mailed to all businesses that listed property for 2021.
- North Carolina Department of Revenue Fill-In Form.
- Business Personal Property Listing Form and Instruction (WebFill)
- Electronic: Upload scanned Business Listing Forms ONLY to Tax Office (All other forms/requests will not be processed)
- Business Extension Request
- Mail: Orange County Tax Office
Attention: Business Listing
P.O. Box 8181
Hillsborough, NC 27278-8181
- Fax: 919-644-3091,Attn: Business Listing
- In person: BY APPOINTMENT ONLY- CALL 919-245-2100 to request and appointment